Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

robbor,300yd .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2003, 04:18 PM
Bronze Member

robbor,300yd .22

I have been tryng to narrow down the distance where my .22 will still group.I already think 400yds is too far for mine.
Yesterday I shot a 10 shot group at 300 yards. 3inches wide,7.5 inches tall.
I believe I can get rid of the vertical stringing with a front stock modification.My stock is sticking in the bag.
I also think once I have sorted bullets the group will improve more.And my bench technique could be better.
Keep me posted on your rabbit hunting.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: robbor,300yd .22

LOL

We've got the 22RF guys started now! I've never heard of shooting a 22RF to 400 yards (I read the little Dangerous within 1 Mile warning but never really figured anyone would eventually try it). We'll I guess this is the site for 22RF at 400 yards (still grouping good at 300 yards disclaimer).

Maybe we need a new Forum! "Dangerous within 1 Mile" or whatever the "real" wording may be.

Congrats on the long range 22RF... and don't forget to advise other to wear a hard hat in your area. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BTW: My longest witnessed kill for one shot from a 22 RF happened just the other day in Canada, gopher at 164 yards. Quality equipment too... Old Winchester 77 semi auto (never cleaned and subsequently jams a little bit), 4 power RUKO scope (25 years of dust on the objective, tilted reticle option installed), Winchester 22T ammo...careful for splinters because the stock has a cracked forearm from where the owner "whacked" a stubborn horse with it years ago (many years ago). The little gun shot very good and accurate but it should NOT be trusted for dangerous game...we found we cold get more rounds off by single feeding it rather than using the built in semi-auto function

[ 06-30-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]
Old 07-01-2003, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Frank, I think your group is M.O.P.D. or close enough. Good shooting! I would venture that a run over your chronograph may be in order before working on your gun. .22 Velocity variations can be amusing sometimes and that may be the issue at hand. Don't want to fix it if it ain't broke.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

I have worked with some very accurate 10-22's and found that after tricking out the action to get a decent trigger pull, the most significant factors for accuracy were the quality and uniformity of the barrel crown and the ammo. Had five aftermarket barrels and two factory Ruger heavies, shot them all to establish average accuracies with several good types of ammo, then had the barrels re-crowned by a very good smith and the average accuracy improved - up to 25% for some barrels. Never messed with chambers, too techie and expensive but no doubt some match chambers might be better than others.
Could not beat the top-end Federal match ammo, understand it has recently been dropped from production. Some of the most accurate ammo I shot is very old PMC called Zappers, was cheap but extremely uniform.
I had a great accumulation of data from all that shooting (over 10,000 rounds) and playing - fried my hard drive and lost most of it. Hell of a reminder to backup your info.
Your groups are great, must be shooting in zero wind situation and using good ammo. Interesting to know what that little slug would do out there on a small beasty.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:11 PM

FRANK I FOUND WHERE YOUR HIDING-- CHECK YOUR E-MAIL--
SS [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 09:26 PM
Bronze Member

I read some where that the realy serious rimfire guys measure the thickness of the rim and segregate them into batches and they claim that will shrink groups. Any one ever hear of this? ebb
Old 07-01-2003, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

Max, You make an excelent point! I had forgotten about what a slight difference in velocity is going to do at this distance. I know from experience that sorting by weight will knock out some of the fliers.

Ian M, You are right about the wind.It was late evening on a very hot day.And I was in a swamp.No wind.It's a wonder I could shoot at all with the sweat pouring into my eyes.
The ammo I am using is Eley HVHP.So it is much better than bulk stuff, but not as good as match grade stuff. But my gun hates the standard velocity ammo. As for what it will do on a small beasty,I am hoping to find that out this coming rabbit season.Based on the soda cans and golf balls I have hit at 400 yards and less,there will be no problem.One of the soda cans I hit at 400 was hit right in the middle. You could see the bullet was dropping fast from the entrance and exit holes.The back side of the can was blown open top to bottom.Much like a close range hit.

Sharpshooter! That is YOU! Oh my gosh, I am completely embarrased.How long have you been posting on this board? If I had paid attention to what you were posting about I maybe would have realised.Tikka,Ruger #1 and all that.
I just can't believe this.You've been to my house for petes sake.And how many times have I been in your store? Man, your wife is getting you an ultimate tripod? That is SO cool. You have to let me see it. I just started a new job and one of those is on my shopping list.
Hey,wait a minute. I thought your West Virginia shooting/training had made it impossible for you to hit anything that isn't running fast through dense brush.You might have some problems with that at 600 yards.And one more thing,this long range shooting is terribly habbit forming, you've been warned. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]