Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

Riflemans Rule

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: utah
Posts: 366
Riflemans Rule

Boy I creamed on another thread for mentioning this way to calculate angle. I was made fun of for my "fussy, made up, equation!" which I pointed out wasn't "MY" equation but simply "the Riflemans Rule". most on that thread seemed to like an "improved" version which is cos x drop and others yet for "Sierras rule". Well here it is on video.... The Riflemans Rule

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ns-rule-89407/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Posts: 3,508
Re: Riflemans Rule

No offense but the rifleman's rule (cos*range) will work at medium ranges with minor angles.

Bottom line, 600 yards shots with 20 degree angles (very common real world hunting senarios) the rifleman's rule is not good enough. With 3000 FPS and a .6 BC the rifleman's rule will be 5" off. 5" off may not be bad on a large target but on a small deer can be the difference between a miss or worse yet a wounded loss versus a clean kill.

Cos*drop or holdover is much more accurate but still not as accurate as the Sierra rule as you call it.

Again, no offense but these are the facts. When it comes to long range hunting, do it right. There is no half a$$ed methods that lead to consistent clean kills at distance.

Many here will argue with you as well about it. Forget the video. Go do it in the real world and see for yourself.

M
__________________
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: utah
Posts: 366
Re: Riflemans Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
No offense but the rifleman's rule (cos*range) will work at medium ranges with minor angles.

Bottom line, 600 yards shots with 20 degree angles (very common real world hunting senarios) the rifleman's rule is not good enough. With 3000 FPS and a .6 BC the rifleman's rule will be 5" off. 5" off may not be bad on a large target but on a small deer can be the difference between a miss or worse yet a wounded loss versus a clean kill.

Cos*drop or holdover is much more accurate but still not as accurate as the Sierra rule as you call it.

Again, no offense but these are the facts. When it comes to long range hunting, do it right. There is no half a$$ed methods that lead to consistent clean kills at distance.

Many here will argue with you as well about it. Forget the video. Go do it in the real world and see for yourself.

M
see what I mean!

personally i have been using drop x cos it is more accurate but the military and almost every other long range school will continue to teach "The riflemans rule"
I just have to point out that its not "MY" bad advise nor "my fussy math" to those that like to chastise... chastise the "pros" that teach it.

I personally think that Huskemaws system is a half ***** wanna be short cut that leads to inconsistent shooting as one calc can not do it all.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 82
Re: Riflemans Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by load View Post
Boy I creamed on another thread for mentioning this way to calculate angle ....
Long range hunting means different things to different people ... I'm one of those who doesn't shoot beyond 400 - 500m, but I love these forums because I learn so much from those that are going much further than I do with this sport ...

That said, I found this rule useful and will add it to my quiver of tricks for my hunting in future ... I've always just guessed what the impact of the angle would be on a shot, and to be fair, that has worked well enough for me, but this would be better ... It may not meet the needs of someone shooting 'real' long range, but it's beneficial to me ...

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 818
Re: Riflemans Rule

I have a weird question... when I run the numbers through G7's ballistic calculator (I realize it might not be correct but I don't have any other to use) neither the rifleman's rule nor the drop*cos give the same drop compared to the G7 calculator with a 30 degree angle at 1k.

Are there programs that will more closely match up to one than the other? In your field experiences does the drop*cos work correctly in every situation you've tried it in?

I would just like to get a grasp on all this theoretically to try and understand why one is correct and one is not.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,863
Re: Riflemans Rule

Use your laser range finder with it already built in.!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NW MT
Posts: 2,552
Re: Riflemans Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
I have a weird question... when I run the numbers through G7's ballistic calculator (I realize it might not be correct but I don't have any other to use) neither the rifleman's rule nor the drop*cos give the same drop compared to the G7 calculator with a 30 degree angle at 1k.

Are there programs that will more closely match up to one than the other? In your field experiences does the drop*cos work correctly in every situation you've tried it in?

I would just like to get a grasp on all this theoretically to try and understand why one is correct and one is not.
That was EXACTLY Michael E. point, learn to use what works. Ballistic calc. with proper inputs or a G7 RANGEFINDER set up for rifle.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Riflemans Rule
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brux Barrels rule Iron Worker Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 1 01-29-2011 07:58 AM
Rule of Thumb? DannoBoone Reloading 2 04-13-2009 09:19 PM
A-MAX bullets RULE! Varmint Hunter Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 17 12-14-2007 08:54 PM
Absolutely Insane School Rule hifidelity General Discussion 18 12-03-2003 11:05 PM
Mirage - Any Rule of Thumb? Len Backus Long Range Hunting & Shooting 11 12-11-2002 12:27 AM

Current Poll
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?
YES - Of course - 72.93%
1,649 Vote
NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me. - 27.07%
612 Votes
Total Votes: 2,261
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC