Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rifle suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Gold Member

Re: Rifle suggestions

Lol too many joe's in the thread.

joseph,

Thats a #7 the new one will be a #10 so I might soon be in the same boat nothing some 80 grit and a dowel rod cant fix

I have an old Marine Corps buddy over the other day and a guy from one of the black water type company and we had gone out shooting on the farm. So we roll up in my friends prius (I know but you should see the look on people faces when they see a prius with an Obama Sucks bumper sticker) and the neighbors were sitting on their porch. We pile out and start pulling various AK47's AR 15 My rifle and Sig's with suppressors on them and a couple more AR with cans.

they don't let their dog piss on my bushes anymore.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 06-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe0121 View Post
Lol too many joe's in the thread.

joseph,

Thats a #7 the new one will be a #10 so I might soon be in the same boat nothing some 80 grit and a dowel rod cant fix

I have an old Marine Corps buddy over the other day and a guy from one of the black water type company and we had gone out shooting on the farm. So we roll up in my friends prius (I know but you should see the look on people faces when they see a prius with an Obama Sucks bumper sticker) and the neighbors were sitting on their porch. We pile out and start pulling various AK47's AR 15 My rifle and Sig's with suppressors on them and a couple more AR with cans.

they don't let their dog piss on my bushes anymore.
Nowadays, I back into the garage to load/unload gear. The neighbors aren't so much a concern. But, I worry about others passing by.

When I was in high school, half the pickups in the parking lot had deer rifles hanging in the rear window and it wasn't unusual for the FFA boys to clean shotguns during first period.

sorry... didn't mean to hijack the thread
Old 06-06-2011, 09:09 PM

These guys are showing you some really nice stuff, but they've blown your $1K budget outta the water.
I'm hearing some really good things out of the Savage camp, but I've never owned one, so really can't attest.
I assume the $1K is for a "turn key" rig, so go with a Rem 700, maybe a Sendero style (HSP stock).
7mm mag is a top notch caliber with factory ammo very available unlike a .264 as mentioned.
Two things to do:
Trigger job - tune it down around 2lbs.
Good glass - It's been said "spend at least half the rifle cost on a scope". I would spend about the same, but that's just me.

Happy hunting dude!
Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

All Savage rifles for less than 1K. Not to mention they can be found for less on the actual market than what they list. Some of these come in the 6.5 Creedmore.

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models .260 Rem

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models .308 & .300 WSM Nice rifle. It is what I currently own (well the action anyway).

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models .308Win

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models 6.5 Creedmore and 260 Rem

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models 6.5x284

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models 6.5x284

Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models 6.5 Creedmore

I just found out that they now make the Long Range Hunter in 338LM and listed at 1210.00. That tells me that you could actually pick it up for around the $1000 to $1100 mark. That's pretty dang cool. Wish I had a wife that supports my habit. I would have one on order right now.

Hope this helps you in your decision.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!