Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rifle stock or Rifle scope which is better?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Gold Member

Re: Rifle stock or Rifle scope which is better?

My hunting requires shots from less than 20 yards up thru 1 k well I haven't made it to 1 k yet but I've had to let animals go at 600 because I knew I couldn't make the shot. . I've played around with my variables and 6 x will work for the close shots and out to at least 500 yards on small deer size game. plus they are as much magnification as I can get without compromising light transmission.
Nice stock work!! I did some wood removal on a CZ 550 in 458 Lott that I had. I made it the best fitting rifle I've ever had for fast offhand shooting. Because it fit so perfectly there was no canting of the rifle when I threw it up. Hollowed out the spot where the heel of my thumb contacted the stock. I didn't have to stress any part of my body to mount and hold the rifle with the express sights. It was easy to run 8" groups off hand ,no rest at 100 yards rapid fire with full house ammo. 400 gr bullet at 2550 fps with the factory pad and no muzzle brake. My 9.3 I had a Boyd's JRS classic stock put on with a 13 1/4" lop it is a close 2 nd.
So now I want to do that with my lr rifles. Make them comfortable to aim. Hopefully eliminate stress and pain tremers when setting up the shot and shooting. I've had lots of neck , back and shoulder injuries .
Old 05-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Gold Member

I've used Accra Glass gel to make palm swells before. My 1 st custom rifle, a Sako AV in 458 Win Mag I did it on the MPI, Whby style fiberglass stock and I could shoot it very well tho it was a real climber.

The reason I started this thread was to bring up the idea of having lr rifles fit the shooter as well as they wish they would.
I have found in big game hunting that a rifle that fits well hits well and easily and was wondering if other more experienced shooters had found the same.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkrat View Post
I've never quite felt comfortable behind my Remington 700 stocks. never really shot anything else and definitely never any aftermarket stock. A while back I got my CZ 455 and the stock felt like it was custom made to my hand. SO....... I decided to make a matching stock for my Rem 700 .308. Need to try my hand at checkering and figure someway to clean up the recoil pad but I was able to squeeze off a half dozen rounds today for the first time and absolutely love the way it fits. The distance from trigger to grip is perfect for my hands and the European hogback drop comb aligns my eye perfectly without having to scrunch my head.

All of my rifles wear Nikon Monarchs. The .22 a 2-8X32, .308 now has a 2.5-20X42 and the 7mm Rem Mag has a 4-16X50 SF. I like consistency and plan to make a similar stock for my 7mm Rem Mag next. Hope the recoil and dropped comb are not a bad combo.
Very nice.