Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Is it the rifle, scope or both??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 09:47 PM

Is it the rifle, scope or both??

I have been kicking around the thought of purchasing a custom "long range rifle". I have also been told not to spend that kind of money when you can put a quality scope on a "wal-mart" rifle and get the same results.....

My questions would be.... Is it the scope that makes the rifle? or is this a myth and you need to spend $8,000 on a 1000 + yrd rifle?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is it the rifle, scope or both??

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4824 View Post
I have been kicking around the thought of purchasing a custom "long range rifle". I have also been told not to spend that kind of money when you can put a quality scope on a "wal-mart" rifle and get the same results.....

My questions would be.... Is it the scope that makes the rifle? or is this a myth and you need to spend $8,000 on a 1000 + yrd rifle?

You dont need to spend $8000 but you definitely DO need good ( great that is) glass on it.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4824 View Post
you can put a quality scope on a "wal-mart" rifle and get the same results.....
Very unlikely.
Quote:
Is it the scope that makes the rifle?
I don't think so. My 1 custom rifle will shoot circles around all my other rifles and its scope is no better.
Quote:
is this a myth and you need to spend $8,000 on a 1000 + yrd rifle?
$8K is certainly excessive, but the precision and skilled labor that it takes to build that level of machinery doesn't come cheap. $3K seems to be a common ballpark.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

It's definitely both. No you don't need to spent 10, 8, or even 5 grand necessarily to get an accurate rig, but you do have to start off with quality hardware or it's going to get very aggravating.

Many years ago a friend of mine told me something that still makes good sense. "Be willing to spend at least as much on quality glass as you are a quality rifle".

There's some wisdom there.

More often than not you can buy any of the major branded rifles off the rack, and find one that with some tuning is capable of 1 MOA performance and do so reasonably cost wise.

However if you spend a thousand on a rifle and having it accurized then stick a 200.00 piece of Chinese crap on top of it, you will never reach the potential accuracy that he rifle itself is capable of.

Read through this thread.

For all you people thinking of getting started but are intimidated by the dollars...

You can get a good read on what a lot of us poor boys have done to put nice budget rigs together.

Be willing to shop the classified section here for both rifles and glass as you will find some very good buys.

Ebay is a good choice as well for quality used glass.

Welcome.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member

Here's another article: How Do I Know What To Buy?

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

A balanced approach is best. ...Rifle+Optics+Ammo+Shooter

Many factory rifle configurations will perform very well when properly outfitted.

-- richard