Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rifle for my Caribou hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: Rifle for my Caribou hunt

Thanks for the info. I'll be hunting way up past kotzebue. I just bought a J107 dragonfly back pack to carry my rifle. i have an action laying around that i need to do something with. i will probably build 338edge that is lighter, shorter barrel than my edge i have now. But i have never had a 7MM rum before r a 7mm of any kind. So who knows.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

I personally do not like to carry anything under a big 30 caliber with me loaded with premium hunting bullets that retain their weight and energy just because of the bear problem. I carried my 264 STW about 15 years ago and loved it as a caribou rifle hoping I wouldn't bump a grizz. I just didn't feel comfortable at night the whole time I was in there. I like a big gun to stop a bear coming in the tent.

A light 338 winchester or a 338 RUM is a good choice.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff 300 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll be hunting way up past kotzebue. I just bought a J107 dragonfly back pack to carry my rifle. i have an action laying around that i need to do something with. i will probably build 338edge that is lighter, shorter barrel than my edge i have now. But i have never had a 7MM rum before r a 7mm of any kind. So who knows.
I'll warn you. If you build a nice STW and shoot it for a year or two you'll be hooked for life.

A truly amazing and versatile caliber that is a lot of fun to shoot and won't break the bank.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

I'm going to suggest the 338 Norma Mag. It was developed to be optimize 300gn bullets in 23.5-25" barrels. You can send a 300gn bullet at 2750fps from a 24" tube w/o over pressuring the rifle. It will give you a ton of versatility and enough power to take down the biggest grizz. You may want to consider it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!