Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rifle Help! Can't make a decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle Help! Can't make a decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
I dont either on the forum, but as a AVID elk hunter I have a problem advising some one that a light, 1/2 the grain capabilty .264 bullet is as good as a .338-300 gr. for elk @ 1000. And that high bc 300 grain bullet is less affected by wind at that range by roughly 1/2. A accurate rifle is a must and goes without saying

I agree..... and do not see how anyone that has taken many elk at long range can argue this.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Gold Member

I would much rather miss an elk with a larger less accurate rifle than I would wound one with a smaller more accurate one.

I've only shot 7 elk, all were branched antler, in my 43yrs on earth. Two were with 7Wby mag others w/300Wby but there has NEVER been a time when I felt I was over gunned. Elk can be some of the toughest sons of beeches you will ever hunt. When it comes to shooting elk, I'll take bigger everytime.

IMHO, there is just no substitute for horsepower.....
Old 01-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Anyway back to OP, you are talking 600 yrds game in your post and option 2 would still give you a extra rifle so to speak. And it seems you are mainly deer. I may me wrong but I THOUGHT Greyfox shot a 1''+ GROUP @ 500 with a Savage 6.5-284, which would seem like a rifle to fit your needs. If elk or moose are more in cards I would do your #2
Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

Get a stock savage in the biggest caliber you can. Learn to handle it and to reload for long range. That will eat the stock barrel. Rebarrel with an edge and do some ez accurizing while its apart and your g2g. 1000 yd shooting is a joke without real loading ability. Too bad savage isnt making rums anymore. The 300 rum is a good learners gun capable of great things and not too fickle.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I would much rather miss an elk with a larger less accurate rifle than I would wound one with a smaller more accurate one.

I've only shot 7 elk, all were branched antler, in my 43yrs on earth. Two were with 7Wby mag others w/300Wby but there has NEVER been a time when I felt I was over gunned. Elk can be some of the toughest sons of beeches you will ever hunt. When it comes to shooting elk, I'll take bigger everytime.

IMHO, there is just no substitute for horsepower.....
Hmmm... Something unsettling about the whole missing and wounding thing here. I fully intend to shoot the som' beech and kill it! It doesn't matter big gun or small.
I've personally shot several dozen elk, and guided hunters to the taking of a few hundred more over the past 30+ years. I've heard this line before. I told many clients that I would much rather see them show up with their deer rifle they can shoot well, than to show up with a magnum they couldn't, if they couldn't. I never felt overgunned with any of my various 7mm, 30 cal, or 35 cal magnums, but unless shooting out to 500 yards or more, I knew I had more than enough. I didn't feel undergunned last year using a 7-08, and the cow and bull I killed agreed!
When it comes to shooting elk, or anything else, I'll take accurate shooting every time.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
OPTION 1
-Take my 270 Remington 700 and convert it to a custom 6.5-284. It will get a new stainless Krieger barrel w/black coat, fiber glass stock bedding. I would set aside my 3-9 Leapold and put a Huskamaw scope on it. ($1700 Package)

Option 2
-Buy a new factory rifle Savage Model 116FCSS Weather Warrior 300 Win Mag with a Accu-Trigger, Accu-Stock, Stainless Barrel and put a Huskamaw on it. ($1600 package)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Option 2 With the recent introduction of the 230 Bergers I feel the 300 win has a lot to offer. And you still have your 270

Jeff
Ditt! You also save an extra $100 ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.