Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rifle Help! Can't make a decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rifle Help! Can't make a decision

Here are a couple 338 Lapua Mag Savage factory offerings. I'd buy the second one if I had the cash. Shoot as far as you want, early, and often.

Savage Arms Firearms > 11/111 Long Range Hunter

Savage Arms Firearms > 10/110 FCP HS Precision
Old 01-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Gold Member

How bad do you want to hit things at 1K? If you're really serious about accuracy, I would go #1. You don't NEED a .338 anything to kill elk at 1000 yards, what you need most is the accuracy for well placed shots. The 6.5-284 will do the job. How are your reloading skills?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Platinum Member

IMO, a well placed 264" bullet, of good construction, in the vitals, is more desireable than a .308" or .338" bullet of any kind, anywhere else. Energy should never take the place of accuracy.
With that said, I do own both the 6.5-284Norma and .300WinMag, both in factory Savages 112BVSS. The only mods are a Rifle Basix on the .300WM and I swapped stocks on the 6.5 (went to VLP) and had it bedded.
Both will easily make the trip to 1000yds and are scary accurate out to that yardage. I have not shot them further and inside of 600yds I don't know that I could tell the difference in stopping ability and killing power. Both have taken deer and hogs inside that yardage with identical results!
I hunt more with the 6.5-284 because I have better optics on it, the VLP stock fits me better and it kicks less. With a better scope and different stock, I might would lean on the .300 more. I love the raw power! You know I may work on that this year, what a good New Years resolution! Thanks. JohnnyK.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevotary View Post
This was my gut feel. The 6-5-284 is a sweet shooting round. Very accurate, and I have seen it drop elk in there tracks at 900 yards. The barrel life is a concern, but say you shoot 4 boxes a year then 2000 rounds would take 25 years to reach.

If the savage 300 or 338 were just as accurate out of the box then I would go that route, but I'm not convinced they are.
Don't let yourself be mislead by the "barrel burner" reputation of the 6,5x284. It was born in the Benchrest circles where they compare it to rounds that use a lot less powder, shoot their barrels very hot, and measure accuracy loss in tenths of an inch. Using their definition, most all rifles capable of effectively killing game at 1000 yards will produce similar life, and with many of the magnum rounds mentioned in this string, less than the 6.5x284.
I may get some heat on this but my advise to shooters wanting to develop long range skills for the first time is to start out with a manageable round in an accurate rig. I have seen a lot of guys that have been shooting 308's, 270's, etc. talked into the heavy calibers like a 338 or big 300 and they end up spending most of their time learning how to handle the recoil, develop a flinch, and get discouraged, yes, even with a muzzle brake. Your instinct on going the 6.5x 284 as a first option is a good one!
IMHO

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Gosh we sure need an extended long range forum so we can split up these differences of opinions. They are all correct, but the distances and the conditions (wind) will seperate all these choices of all these great calibers

Jeff
Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Gosh we sure need an extended long range forum so we can split up these differences of opinions. They are all correct, but the distances and the conditions (wind) will seperate all these choices of all these great calibers

Jeff
I can understand what your saying about having an extended long range forum since I have thought about it myself when it has been raised before. I only wonder if it wouldn't make things more confusing due to the varied opinions of what constitutes long range vs extended long range. In this particular thread the OP pretty well defined his range and game requirements. I don't know if split forums would have added much. I would hate to see input from the very experienced shooters like yourself possibly get lost in a LR vs ELR segregation process. IMO

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

I dont either on the forum, but as a AVID elk hunter I have a problem advising some one that a light, 1/2 the grain capabilty .264 bullet is as good as a .338-300 gr. for elk @ 1000. And that high bc 300 grain bullet is less affected by wind at that range by roughly 1/2. A accurate rifle is a must and goes without saying