Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rifle export to New Zealand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies.

Shawn, are you able to email me some better pics of previous Sheep hunter builds and a list of what calibres you recommend?

Currently I use a Tikka T3 laminated/stainless 7mm08 for my walkaround rifle but would like something a bit different, classy and yet still practical.

I am open to a calibre change but would prefer to stay within the 7mm diameter.

Ultimately I would like this gun to be good to 600yds in good conditions, I would still need it for bush stalking and carrying big distances so barrell length would be restricted to 24 inches.

Can you still get Borden stocks? I had a read on their website and they say they only use them on their own custom guns (rimrock or rimfire stocks)

Cheers, Steve
Old 05-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

Hi Steve, your other options are to use an NZ gunsmith. Tracey Short (Deadeye dick) had advertised a 0.5 moa guarantee for some of his rifles at one stage. He seemed to be using Nesika actions and Shilen barrels.
I am getting Gabe Zigliani (High Country Sport) to rebarrel my Rem 3006 to 7 mm Rem mag using a 26 inch Trueflite Ultra match barrel.
Barnard actions made in NZ are very good and have a number of different options.

Stu.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi3006 View Post
Hi Steve, your other options are to use an NZ gunsmith. Tracey Short (Deadeye dick) had advertised a 0.5 moa guarantee for some of his rifles at one stage. He seemed to be using Nesika actions and Shilen barrels.
I am getting Gabe Zigliani (High Country Sport) to rebarrel my Rem 3006 to 7 mm Rem mag using a 26 inch Trueflite Ultra match barrel.
Barnard actions made in NZ are very good and have a number of different options.

Stu.
Hi Stu
I am a bit wary of Tracy Short as I have had a few mates that are less than happy with him after having rifles built.
Rebarrelling is a good option but I don't have the donor action, would prefer to stick to Mod 700 action but its not worthwhile buying a new rifle just for the action.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:15 AM

Hi Steve,
I had a 6.5x55 Ackley built on a barnard S action and I am very happy with it. It was built by Tony Halberg and John Hastie, these guys are very good smiths. this rifle consistently shoots around the .300'' mark at 100 yards.
The Barnard S action with the magazine would be a good choice with a mcmillan edge stock or similar, and with a good barrel would get you well past 600 yards!
I would also stick with the 7mm-08 cartridge in a 24'' spout, it will still easily kill at that range. Stepping up to say a 280 Rem in that barrel length will just make more muzzle blast and noise without a huge increase in performance.

Jared

Last edited by JCM; 05-21-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:33 AM
Gold Member

PM sent !

You will get a great build from your personal pick of the smiths on this board. Add import costs and I think you will be suprised how cheap it will be from the US to NZ.
I can only speak personally of Shawn Carlocks work and he builds a rifle that shoots like nothing I have ever seen !

Good luck

DUH