Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rifle Explosion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Re: Rifle Explosion

I'm pretty sure it was a Reminton 700. Lilja barrel chambered in 7mm STW.

Unread 11-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Varmint Hunter View Post
Similar but different story worth remembering:

The guy next to me on the firing line was shooting a T/C Omega muzzleloader. It was in the spring and apparently the first range session for him in the new year.

He measure his powder charge and dumped it down the barrel. Then he started a sabot bullet and drove it home with the ramrod. Put a 209 primer in place and squeezed the trigger. KA-BOOM

Lots of noise, lots of smoke and a considerable amount of recoil. Shooter is VERY surprised by this occurrence but the gun looks OK and the reloading sequence is repeated. When the sabot is driven down onto the new powder charge the guy says "hey - the rod went down much farther this time".

It wasn't long before he & I realized what had caused the KA-BOOM. The muzzleloader, which the guy left loaded between outings last fall had been left fully charged (no primer) all winter while the rifle sat in his gun cabinet. He admitted that he could not remember ever taking the charge out at the end of the year.

On this first day out again he put a second powder charge and a second projectile right on top of the one that was in the bore all winter. KA-BOOM The fact that the gun withstood this level of abuse is a testament to the high strength of T/C's muzzleloaders. The fact that the guy didn't get hurt and that he continued to shoot that rifle was simply amazing.

I guess it's a mistake that anyone could make now that we have new non-corrosive BP substitute powders available and don't have to unload BP rifles that are not fired afield.
Don't mean to highjack this thread but I have made this exact same mistake. The only reason I caught it was because I marked my ramrod at the end of the muzzle for my load. When I realized what had happened, it gave me chills but fortunately I caught it. MARK YOUR RAMROD!
Unread 11-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Jezzzzz I worry about fools like that when I am on the line during a match -- would hate to die or become a veg because someone was drinking too many beers or watching the game while loading. He might want to seriously evaluate his technique and ensure there are no distractions when loading. That is why I always load the night before the match after everybody has gone to bed and I have the kitchen table all to myself!!
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!
Unread 11-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Silver Member
Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!

I forgot to check all the cases before seating bullets last week and weighted all the loaded cases...found I had missed one.

Normally I doubt I would have been concerned that I didn't check them, but the wife is hunting with the gun and I know she wouldn't notice what might have happened. That and it being she is hunting with my ex-7mm RUM (hers now she shot two backs last weekend) and I would fear the action not holding up.

I'll be paying closer attention on all my reloading.
There is not such thing as too many guns, safes or fishing poles!