Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rifle Chioces?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2005, 04:29 AM
Silver Member

Rifle Chioces?

I still have not purchased a rifle in .300WSM yet because I just cant make up my mind on what to get, Its abit of a toss up between the Ruger All-Weather and the Browning A-Bolt Hunter, the Ruger as usual will need a trigger job, but it is a very reliable feeding and ejecting rifle, the Browning on the other hand has a low bolt lift which is very cool and a detachable mag that is attached to the floorplate (correct me if Ive used the wrong terms).
I have held both rifles and both come up nice and I like the actions.
What do you think I should get?
The big deal is that Im after a bit of out of the box accuracy, something that will group well to 350m.

TIA

skip
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Silver Member

Re: Rifle Chioces?

[ QUOTE ]
The big deal is that Im after a bit of out of the box accuracy, something that will group well to 350m.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've already made your choice then. Rugers arent really known for there accuracy.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Gold Member

Hi Skip,
For out of the box accuracy can i suggest a Tikka T3 which is available in 300 WSM.
Out of the two you have suggested though, i would go for the A-bolt.

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 09-18-2005, 09:59 AM

Gotta ask yourself if ... down the line youare gonna want to do more with this rifle...

I don't know a gunsmith that will or like to work on a browning action.. and Rugers aren't real popular either.

Winnny or Rem.. would be my chice with an instant ( right after purchase) accuraization to start with.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle Choices?

What's wrong with the Ruger trigger? They are very easy to tune up to a nice crisp 2 pounds. That is if you have 30 minutes, a wet stone, flat screwdriver, dental tool to push the pins out with and a small scale to measure pull weight with.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:51 PM
Gold Member

I've got an a-bolt ss and it's pretty nice. As to the rugers I had acouple that have been rebarreled etc and never found a gunsmith yet that wouldn't work on one. I was at the range Fri and was shooting next to a guy with a Browning a-bolt ss stalker in 300mag and we were at the 200yr line he put 3 shot in less than an inch tried another load had just alittle over 1" for 3 shot. I had a tikka t-3 in 300wsm and it shot the same as the browning as to groups. I think if you when over to www.shortmag.org you get better input as to the ruger rifles in 300wsm. I haven't seen one yet at our club so really cann't comment. Well good luck.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:47 AM
Silver Member

The Tikkas I agree are a very nice outfit smooth bolt, nice trigger very accurate, I have used 2, both in 30-06 and shot very well straight out of the box.
I thought I would get a Browning for something different and after handling the A-Bolt Hunter (not s/s) the decision was basically made but then I was showed the ruger and for the price they were a good thing, but I go by "you get what you pay for", so the Browning had nearly won.
I thought I would chuck the options onto this forum to get some personnal experience that some of you have obviously had, and for your reply's I thank you.
I will get the Browning, I will post some pics when I start load development, I shoud have the rifle before the weekend so im excited.
The rifle will be topped with Leupold rings and bases and a Leupold VX-1 2-7X33 (to start off with).

Thanks again

skip [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]