Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rifle case for Air travel on a budget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Gold Member

Rifle case for Air travel on a budget

Hey all,
I am going on a hunting trip with my father in-law. He is paying for the trip. This will MOST likely be the ONE and ONLY time I fly with my hunting rifle. I need to buy a rifle case for the airplane ride. My question is, what cases should I look at, new or used, on a budget. keep in mind my rifle and scope are not expensive (browning x-bolt hunter and burris fullfield II 4.5-14x40) and I will never fly with it again(Most likely Never) so hopefully there is something out there that will get me by on this trip. I am open to any and all suggestions? I have heard getting a case that can take multiple locks is wise but still have no ideas...keeping it below 200 bucks is a MUST and the lower the better but of course I dont want something that a common person could simply step on to open it haha.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle case for Air travel on a budget

Pelican 1750

This is at the top of your budget, but probably the best! I just looked on midway, they are 199$ now!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 08-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
Pelican 1750

This is at the top of your budget, but probably the best! I just looked on midway, they are 199$ now!
This seems like a great case and if I HAVE to I will buy it, however, are there any other cheap cases out there that can get me through this one trip or is that really the cheapest id want to go...200 is the top of my budget but obviously if I could find something for 100 that would be great too?
Again...open to any ideas.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

I have two of them and that's all I would buy! I saw one of mine fall off a conveyer belt after a baggage handler threw it from the cart! Other than some outside scratches, the gun was not harmed. If you bought it, you could always resell it! Plus Pelican has great customer service and warranty!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 08-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

I have had my Pelican case since 2008, the day I bought my .257 Wby. Best case I've ever had. The SKB's come in a very close second, but they are only water resistant, and are not waterproof like the Pelican is.

This is the one I have.

Pelican 1750 Scoped Rifle Gun Case Solid Foam Insert Wheels Polymer

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I have had my Pelican case since 2008, the day I bought my .257 Wby. Best case I've ever had. The SKB's come in a very close second, but they are only water resistant, and are not waterproof like the Pelican is.

This is the one I have.

Pelican 1750 Scoped Rifle Gun Case Solid Foam Insert Wheels Polymer

It looks like this is the case I will buy...but I just feel like it is a waste as I never will use it again after this trip. Maybe i can sell it on here afterwards or something.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

I'll give you $100 for it when you get back....

Also, be sure to cut out the foam insert to match your rifle, ammo, etc...That way your scope and rifle doesn't get jarred around and knocked.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.