Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rifle Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Bronze Member

Rifle Build

I am currently in the process of building a long range hunting rifle that I can pack but is still accurate to 700 yards maybe farther if my shooting gets better. I am starting with a Weatherby Mark V chambered in 340 wby mag. It is in an H-S precision stock. I am looking to put a new barrel on it with a break. Tune the action adjust the trigger and bed it. My gunsmith is recommending a Douglas or Hart if i want to go top of the line. I will be shooting 250 or 300 gr SMK handloads. Would you go 1:9 or 1:10 twist and what barrel, and brake manufacture. I am open to all sugestions but want to stay with the 340 wby.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:51 AM
Gold Member

Re: Rifle Build

While at the range yesterday I was speaking with a fellow who does QC and shoots the qualifying targets for one of local the rifle manufacturers.

He said that the Lothar's are quite good and would shoot great after about 4 rounds but that the Kreigers required perhaps as many as 20 rounds or more before they shot great. Both brands were great barrels according to this fellow.

This discussion was for the 338 lapua caliber.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

Douglas or Hart both are both fine barrels in a 1:10 but, listen to your smith. I like the APS muzzle brake by Kirby Allen...some don't as one mentioned they look like the end of a howitzer. Maybe, maybe not I guess it's a matter of opinion but they are very effective. Good luck with your build.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

APS Break by Kirby, Douglas 1:10. My cousin has a Lapua with the Douglas 1:10 in 32" barrel. He is currently saving the money up for the break.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:26 PM
Bronze Member

My smith is a big fan of Douglas for a hunting rifle. Were thinking of a 5 or 5a with a break. Douglas does not have a weight on their website for the 5a. Would this be very heavy? Too heavy to carry up and down mountains?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member

The one I posted about is a full 1"contour all the way out to 32". The rifle is 19.5#'s. Doesn't carry very nice. Mainly a bench gun or carry once to a blind. I couldn't tell you what their contour number is.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Check out Brux Barrels they advertise here. Less money, cut & hand lapped S/S and all barrels made by them are benchrest quality. Late last spring I ordered one and had it in 3 weeks. My rifle has shot .084" once at 100 yds and in the .3s a couple of times at 200 yds. AND this is my hunting rifle.

joseph