Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rifle advice...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Bronze Member

Rifle advice...

I am in the market for a new/used rifle in .308 it will be used for plinking, deer hunting some, and maybe a little long range shooting (for fun). This is my problem I would love to own a GA rock ect but I can't spend 3k+ on this rifle my budget is around $1500-2000 can you guys help me with some choices that fit my budget. I want the look of the sniper set-up 20"-24" heavy barrel my budget does not include a scope as I have that already...Thanks for any and all suggestions/help.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle advice...

Check out the tactical line by savage. You could get the mod 10 in any of the configurations with that budget. You could also buy the Rem SPS and restock the rifle. Personally I'm a savage fan. They offer mod 10's w/ an H-S stock and a McMillan. You could also look at the 10BA.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

I'd definitely go with a Savage... if you get a real basic one, you can mod it out and still be under your budget. After my aftermarket bbl, stock, recoil lug, trigger and bolt handle, it was still under $2k, and it shoots awesome.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Bronze Member

What mods would I need? How do the savage and the rem ltr compare?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Gold Member

Look at this one. It ain't a 308 but better.

Remington Model 700 BDL 300 WM
Old 03-14-2013, 01:33 AM

Look on the Savage website. Browse rifles. Pick the one you want. You'll be able to afford a nice scope too.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

I have owned three Remington 700 Mildpec 308''s since they were made available as a non catalog offering, and as I understand it, have barrels that are over runs from M24 production. They were all very nicely finished, and shot sub .5MOA out of the box. Nicely balanced with a varmint weight barrel, all stainless, and an HS Precision stock with Wundhammer style tactical grip. they run around $1000-1100. They are tough to find, but I bought all three 308's, and recently a 300WM Milspec from, The Exchange. They list on Guns America. They don't always have them listed, but he gets them on a regular basis. Another good alternative to take a look at.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt