Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Revenge of the 640 yard Chuck [just who got whom?]

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Silver Member

Revenge of the 640 yard Chuck [just who got whom?]

Im writting this as a small warning about the handling of dead vermin.After I made the B.O.A.G.SHOT i carried the chuck back to the truck with no gloves .No thought of the consequenses. Now Im paying the price . 24 hours after getting home I was feeling bad ,cold sweat,weak and general flulike symtoms .Then the headachs started and got worse for the next three days. Next came the fever and chills for the next 5 days .On the tenth day a beautiful all over rash and a trip to the hospital. Just try to explain to a non hunter why a rational person would be carrying rock chuck around. They filed me with the appropriate antibiotics for the next 24 hours and then discharged me to battle this on my own. It will be weeks before the blood work will tell us what bacteria or virus got me, Tularamia or rocky mountain spotted fever fit the incubation sequense the best but I may never know. Im not going to let this keep me from hunting chucks but ill bet I wont be digging in a den or carrying one any time soon .good shooting 7mmrhb
Old 08-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Revenge of the 640 yard Chuck [just who got whom?]

WOW, he almost got you with an even smaller round!

hantavirus?

glad you are coming out of it...hope it's not something you are stuck with for life [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

JB
Old 08-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

Tularemia is a biological warfare agent. Maybe Ossam bin Laden is hiding out in Utah and has released infected rock chucks because he believes rock chuck shooters are America's last line of defense.

With all the medical expenses, that was one costly bullet you sent downrange.

On a serious note, in the South, tularemia is known as rabbit hunters disease. When cleaning the rabbit if you look at the liver and it has white spots then the rabbit has tularemia. You have to be careful not to have any cuts on your hands when cleaning them. Cooking kills it so it is allright to eat them and I have done so many, many times. In Utah and the Rockies the jack rabbits and the cottontails both may have it.

I did manage to get a case of giardia in the Rockies long ago from drinking some of that crystal clear rocky mountain spring water. Now, the only way I drink Rocky Mountain Spring water is if it says "Coors" on the outside.

Hope you get to feeling better before main hunting season gets here. Its only twelve days till dove season!
Old 08-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Gold Member

7mmRHB,
Get well soon, maybe you could use one of these:

This an advert here in the UK, but you must be able to get these in the USA as well. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ian.

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 08-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Hopefully it won't last too long and you will be feeling better!
I'm definately not touching a dead chuck, rabbit, squrrel, gopher, coyote, or prairie dog without gloves now!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate sickness 7mmrhb.
Hope you feel better soon!
Now you will have evn more motivation to shoot chucks at a distance.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

I thought after reading your post title that you were going to explain how that chuck woke up from his coma that the hornet gave him at 640 yards and crawled out of the freezer to avenge his would-be assassin! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

After you finally kill him with a baseball bat and have him mounted over your reloading bench, you will always wonder if he is REALLY TRULY dead or is he just waiting for the perfect moment to leap down from his perch to attack you while you are turning case necks! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.