Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

reticles and mirage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Bronze Member

reticles and mirage

i have long considered the nightforce as the best alternative in europe to those that cannot afford an S&Bender. S&Bender really seem to have their own cult here in Europe however my question is with regard to one particular feature of the NXS. if i understand well the nightforce have the reticle in the 2nd focal plain and thus calibrated on one particular magnification, which i understand to be the highest right?(25x)
i wanted to buy this model however i was wondering about the problem in using this reticle in warm countries because at 25x in very warm weather you will only be able to see mirage and never ending waves of mirage so at 25x its not good and if you turn down the power to 12 or 15x your reticle is now out of calibration making a very useful tool 'out of order'.
Does nightforce install reticles in 1st focal plain too? any input by those that have used NXS scopes in 100degrees temperatures?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Platinum Member

They're going to be coming out with a FFP version soon, but they do not offer it yet.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Bronze Member

You can also determine what the "calibration" is at a lower power. I wont go into it because there are numerous threads that explain it better, but simply put:

xx MOA at 22x or XY MOA at 15x; Many people do also find out what power matches Milradian Marks, thus having a scope marked to to Mil and MOA.

Min Velocity info is available, and describes the performance floor of the bullet... DON'T allow yourself to reference F.P.E. as an accurate descriptor of killing power.. You are smarter than a copy editor, and you understand that you can determine maximum (reliable) effective range by comparing your drop chart to published bullet data....... And, dog-on-it, people like you!