Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reticle/Turret Dial.....how bout both

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

Reticle/Turret Dial.....how bout both

It's been a while since I have made a post. Lately, I've been occupied with savings for rifle scopes. Here's the thought; the leupold vx-2 with the custom dial and the custom reticle. Both seem like the best option on this budget. But, I have since been learning about moa and dialing for the longer (hopeful) shots. I'm also loving the looks of the vortex viper hs long range with the exposed dials. I don't know what would be better. I'm constantly trying to remember practica application and not day dreams. My area comprised of close range shots mainly. 300 yards would be a stretch. Opinions please. Oh yea , this will be going on a browning bar 300 wm or 308.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Reticle/Turret Dial.....how bout both

I see no problem with picking either one that your comfortable with and going with it. I am a turret dialer doesn't matter if it's 200 yards or 1500 yards I dial. But I learned a long time ago you can't serve two masters.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Gold Member

I think having both is a great idea, for things like varmints. Quick shots are common and you don't have time to dial the retical comes into play then on the range or big game you might have time to dial....

an armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

know guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place incase the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

For those who trade liberty for security have neither Benjamin Franklin...
Old 06-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

I've shot the HS LR a lot and ran and hunted three methods with it, using the turret for MOA dial, using the BDC reticle and then having a turret tape made and running a ballistic turret.
Using the reticle became just a pain in the hind end, the idea is great but in practical use you have to still remember where each hash is at then adjust for never being at just the right range.
Dialing MOA works perfectly for long ranges where you have time to bring up a solution and dial it in but the reality of using it in closer ranges where you really only have time to range and shoot it's just slow but the best for straight up long range shooting.
The ideal solution I think is the ballistic turret but I get mine made with the MOA marks at the bottom so I retain the usability for long range precision dialing while adding a very good fast solution for shooting out to 600 or so yards. I found I can range dial and shoot very, very fast with a ballistic turret but then revert to dialing a precision solution when the time is available or range dictate it. This works very well the HS LR because you have 24 MOA in one rev which make is super fast with the ballistic turret!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Guys! This is what I'm talking about! Real experience with these same set ups. This is all helpful to me. Please elaborate on the ballistic turrets. More comparisons too. I'm gonna use the 300wm on elk. Hopefully I can make it to Colorado next year. I'd love to go back to Wyoming and antelope hunt again. Best time hunting I ever had. I use a 25-06 for the goats.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

I'm not sure what the custom reticle for leupold looks like, but I have several Vortex Vipers and like them very much. Mostly I dial for range, and hold for wind, but one of the advantages of the MOA reticle in my FFP is spotting the impact when I miss (I know no one else ever does, but I do occasionally). The reticle grid gives me the correction either way: I can measure and dial the correct dope, or simply hold using the spotted impact point if in a real hurry. That's surely the best of both worlds.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magcreedmoor View Post
I'm not sure what the custom reticle for leupold looks like, but I have several Vortex Vipers and like them very much. Mostly I dial for range, and hold for wind, but one of the advantages of the MOA reticle in my FFP is spotting the impact when I miss (I know no one else ever does, but I do occasionally). The reticle grid gives me the correction either way: I can measure and dial the correct dope, or simply hold using the spotted impact point if in a real hurry. That's surely the best of both worlds.

I agree......I've been know to miss occasionally myself and the Vortex reticle helps take a lot of the guess work out for a follow up.