Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Removing paint from a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Bronze Member

Removing paint from a barrel

I am trying to figure out the best way to remove the alumahyde from mh barrel so i can repaint it. Would xylen work or am i going to have to use sandpaper and do the whole thing by hand? Thanks in advance for the help

Old 07-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Removing paint from a barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam330 View Post
I am trying to figure out the best way to remove the alumahyde from mh barrel so i can repaint it. Would xylen work or am i going to have to use sandpaper and do the whole thing by hand? Thanks in advance for the help
Try and find out. You won't hurt it. Just don't use anything in the lands. Keep it all external.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Gumout or Berryman's carbureto cleaner should work just fine.

Since you are going to refinish it anyhow single or double ought steel wool combined with the caurburetor cleaner should do just fine.

Once you have it completely stripped you'll want to use acetone for a final cleaning to be sure you have all of the oil etc gone.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sandblast it with fine sand(Sugar sand) and this will remove the paint and prepair the barrel for repainting.

A sand blast finish gives the paint a good anchor pattern and makes it much harder to chip or
flake off. Also the sand is non reactive and some chemicals are, so I don't like using them.

All it takes is a hand held sand blast gun and a bag of sugar sand. (About $30.00) and some
tape to mask off any areas that you want to keep the sand off/out. I use an ear plug in the
crown it protect it while blasting it.

When applying Alumahyde spray Very light coates until you get good coverage, (This is a
place that More is not better) Because the thicker it is the easier it is to chip.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 07-18-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all of the advice so far. Ill try the carb cleaner since i dont have a sand blaster. If anyone else has an idea feel free to share also.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Make sure you use a fine grit sand paper to rough up the barrel. Too coarse and you'll scratch the pooh out of the barrel. 200 grit or finer.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Bronze Member

Picked up some carb cleaner it worked pretty good. Thanks for all the help