Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Removable muzzle brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Removable muzzle brake?

I shot a 340 WBY for 10+ yrs, before I braked it, then 10 more+ 200 rnds. first spring. Then I had a radial type brake put on. I shot a 6x6 one day bedded and I could not here for 2 hrs, tracking bull, it was a neck shot on purpose. I wear a ear plug type set up all the time and use them. But a muzzle brake will cook your ears, mine screw on and off, it is a nice feature if you timber hunt. I hunt dark timber getting up to high country and shots are quick and usually no time for the ear protection
Old 12-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Look into the tactical muscle break that benchmark barrels has. Do a search and u will find them on snipers hide. It has a set screw so it won't loose its timing and you can remove it without using a crush washer or it over rotating after removing it a bunch of times.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for all your help guys! I think I have actually decided to go with a permanent muzzle brake. I have done some information about some "quieter" muzzle brakes that sound like they would fit my needs well.
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

hey guys hate to double post, but what about this break? Anyone heard anything about this one? It has to holes to cut down on muzzle jump which I like. Are these things crappy or legit?
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
hey guys hate to double post, but what about this break? Anyone heard anything about this one? It has to holes to cut down on muzzle jump which I like. Are these things crappy or legit?
Need to post a link.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

WHOOPS! I guess that would help wouldnt it.

Sorry guys.

Muzzle Brake

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
WHOOPS! I guess that would help wouldnt it.

Sorry guys.

Muzzle Brake
There are quite a few muzzle brake designs with better designs holes (no offense, just referring to the holes configuration and not entire design) on top but the one on your link should definitely work too. However, a well designed muzzle brake does not need to have holes on top to reduce/eliminate muzzle jump/flip like the ones below ...

Center Shot Rifles - Products / Sales - Muzzle Brakes

American Precision Arms

In short, you have plenty of very good muzzle brakes (with or without holes on top) to choose from - APS > Home Page, Straight Shot Gunsmithing, Defensive Edge > Products, Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply, etc ...

To give you general idea on price of MB and installation, my local gunsmith currently charges ...

$200 installed (Holland's Quick Discharge) - I have this one my Savage 111F in .300 WM and the felt recoil is comparable to .243.

$225 installed (Bennie Cooley by JP Enterprise) - Jeff (BROZ) has this one on one of his .300 WM and have heard positive comments.

... and from my other gunsmith (his own design) ...

$210 installed with cap (in 2009) - similar performance as the Holland's above. This is on my SAKO M995 in .300 WM.

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.