Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Removable muzzle brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: Removable muzzle brake?

These damn things seem like more trouble than they are worth. I have a question. I have heard that it makes the gun extremely loud, but how does it make the gun louder for the SHOOTER. I dont shoot at a "range" so I am not worried about anyone else. How much louder will it make the gun for the SHOOTER?
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

It is loud enough to burst your ear drums. If you don't actually burst them you will have severe hearing loss after only one time depending upon the caliber. Pain will go away in about three days.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

greeeeaaatt... thats exactly what I wanted to hear.
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

All breaks have the typical disclaimer of "hearing protection should always be worn....etc" while this is true, not all breaks are equal in eardrum bursting capabilities.
Google centershot rifles, Muscle break. Jim See "a.k.a. Coyboy" a sponsor here on LRH has some video of his in action on his website. Look closley at the shooters ears.
Most of the energy is directed away from the shooter.
Remember the disclaimer of hearing protection, but watch the video.
Kirby has the painkiller break. Shawn has the Defensive Edge break, I'm sure there are tons more to choose from.
Now, radial breaks are a completely different story. I personally dispise the radial breaks I've had experience with. but I like the fish gill style w/o the bottom ports. Personal preferance comes into play, but most are all breaks are effective ways of reducing recoil. How much backblast & noise depends on the break, & what its put on

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

okay.. well I am basically looking for a brake I can hunt with. I dont want my ear drums shattered. I wouldnt even need a REMOVABLE muzzle brake as long as I can hunt without my eardrums exploding. Any suggestions.. please try to keep it under 400bucks! haha

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
okay.. well I am basically looking for a brake I can hunt with. I dont want my ear drums shattered. I wouldnt even need a REMOVABLE muzzle brake as long as I can hunt without my eardrums exploding. Any suggestions.. please try to keep it under 400bucks! haha
I have the shrewd varmint brake on my AR. Very effective and very easy on the ears.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1.../VARMINT-BRAKE

Very Reasonably priced as well.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

I keep all my muzzle brake on my hunting rifles all the time. Not really sure why you would want a removable brake but that's your choice and I respect that. Instead of a removable, how about an on-off brake type like the Brockman's Custom Gunsmithing ?

Not a big fan of MBs with holes all around (blows debris from the bottom, esp. prone) but it's an option for your consideration.

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.