Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Removable muzzle brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

Removable muzzle brake?

Is there such a thing as a removable muzzle brake? If so can I get one to fit any rifle? Or does the rifle have to be custom or have a "heavy barrel".. as always.. thanks guys.
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Removable muzzle brake?

You can put a muzzle break on any rifle with any type of contour. The thinner the barrel, the weaker the threads will be. The bigger issue is if you want to remove it to shoot and put it back on. If you use a timed break (Side only discharge), then you will need a smith to install it, unless you are capable of doing so. If you get a non-directional break, then you can screw it on and off with out a smiths help.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

I talked to Ron at Vias and he said that he could easily install a brake on my x-bolt. he said that his brakes are 100% removable and he actually recommends that i remove it before every cleaning. He was a super nice guy! he said that it would be 275+return shipping. I think that is what I am going to go with.

you mentioned side discharge.. are they "better" than the non-directional brakes??.. thanks again guys!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Just remember that your point of impact may very well change significantly when you remove it so you'll need to rezero the rifle.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

A side discharge brake must be threaded by a gunsmith so it screws on perfectly timed. Once the barrel and brake are threaded properly you may take it off and put it one any time you want. If you do it a lot you may move the threads enough to cause it to lose timing. You do not need a gunsmith anymore once it is threaded and installed. I made a simple wrench that fits the flats to help break the threads loose after they become locked up with powder residue.

A radial brake does not need to be timed but the bottom discharge ports may kick up dust if you shoot prone in lose dirt. Only every once in a while such as when shooting into a headwind does the dust cause me a problem.

What I do is have the smith make a cap so if I choose to hunt without the brake I can protect the threads by screwing on the cap.

As was mentioned, I make a little card to keep with the rifle that says how the POI changes with and without the brake
Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

why does the muzzle brake move my point of aim? I thought that the bullet never touched the brake. Alot of people have been telling me that my groups will get only tighter when using a brake. Should I just leave the damn thing on and take my ears ringing for a second?

--Kirby Allen
Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Barrel harmonics.(barrel whip)
Same reason you have to be as consistant as possible mounting your rifle every time. Every little thing that's different has an effect on poi.
Hand on the barrel for one shot, hand on top of the scope for the next shot, & hand on the stock for your third shot will likely open your groups. Anyone can pull a trigger, but learning to be consistant shrinks groups. Change 1 thing, & it can go south quick especially if it has any thing to do with your barrel.
Simply re-zero your scope with/without a break, & you'll be fine.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"