Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

remington vs savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Unread 06-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Near Helena Montana
Posts: 655
Re: remington vs savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester View Post
That is one big stretch. The barrel nut bothers some people more than others. To me it just means I don't need a gunsmith when it comes time to rebarrel.

Savage factory barrels are head an shoulders better, the trigger is better, the action looks near identical and gets around the absolute need to be trued by using the floating bolt head.

If you can do a good bedding job you can build a darn good shooting Savage on your reloading bench.

Me thinks you are confused about which is the better rifle in TODAYS market!
I just set new barrels on two Rem 700's,im not a gunsmith,and Ill put either of them up against your best shooting savage any day at 500+ yards,Id bet you for rifles but I wouldnt want one of em.Sure they are cheap,sure a retarded spider monkey can get the barrel off,sure the trigger looks cool,none of these things are selling points for me.I want an action that doesnt feel like its made out of recycled chew cans when I cycle it,I want a factory trigger that I can tune to my standards with basic tools,I want a rifle that looks as good as it shoots,I want a rifle that has virtually thousands of over the counter parts/barrels/triggers/stocks/ect.ect.I built a barrel vice,I bought a go/no go guage,a couple new barrel lugs and these rifles are every bit as easy to work on as a Savage,if I remember correctly my savage shooting buddy had to buy a barrel wrench before he could rebarell his brand new Savage that grouped 2" at 100 with every kind of hand load and factory ammo we fed it.If Savages were priced as high as a Rem hardly anyone would buy them,thats a fact that Im sure your not willing to admit but its the truth.You get what you pay for,you can stuff a bad ass motor into a 74 Nova,but it will always be a 74 Nova.I dont give a damn what is going to move on todays market,I grew up wih a Rem in my hand and Ive only had one of the almost 100 I have owned let me down (POS semi auto 22 lr 597 POS),why even consider a brand name that just recently decided to pull it s head out and build something even worht considering if you cant afford a Rem 700?Rem has some newer models that they put out for todays market,in hand they feel like crap,they look like s^%$ and they shoot pretty good,just like a Savage.

Last edited by NONYA; 06-26-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Unread 06-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central Arizona
Posts: 62
Re: remington vs savage

Like many others, I have both. My Remington .270 has been in the safe ever since I sighted in the Leupold I mounted on it. That would be well over 20 years ago. I have 3 Savages that I use for whatever type of shooting I am doing. They have always been far better than I am. I recently acquired a custom on a Savage action in 7mm RemMag that I am intending on turning into my LR rifle if I decide to jump into this sport big time. Oh! And the real kicker for me was my being Left eye dominant right handed. Savage at one time was about the only one that paid any attention to us "Leftys". If you are not in that camp then feel very fortunate as there is a whole lot more out there for one to choose from. After all is said and done, neither the animal or the target has a clue what brand rifle that the shot comes from if the shooter does their job correctly. The Savage vs Remington is just like the age old childish game of Ford vs Chevrolet, Coke vs Pepsi, PC vs Mac, etc. Get what you want regardless of what the fan boys in either camp say. Freedom of choice is what makes the country turn. It's about enjoyment, not bragging rights.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 06-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Near Helena Montana
Posts: 655
Re: remington vs savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief1942 View Post
Like many others, I have both. My Remington .270 has been in the safe ever since I sighted in the Leupold I mounted on it. That would be well over 20 years ago. I have 3 Savages that I use for whatever type of shooting I am doing. They have always been far better than I am. I recently acquired a custom on a Savage action in 7mm RemMag that I am intending on turning into my LR rifle if I decide to jump into this sport big time. Oh! And the real kicker for me was my being Left eye dominant right handed. Savage at one time was about the only one that paid any attention to us "Leftys". If you are not in that camp then feel very fortunate as there is a whole lot more out there for one to choose from. After all is said and done, neither the animal or the target has a clue what brand rifle that the shot comes from if the shooter does their job correctly. The Savage vs Remington is just like the age old childish game of Ford vs Chevrolet, Coke vs Pepsi, PC vs Mac, etc. Get what you want regardless of what the fan boys in either camp say. Freedom of choice is what makes the country turn. It's about enjoyment, not bragging rights.

If having a plethora of aftermarket parts avaliable means anything to you then there is no comparison,if you do get serious obout LR hunting then this will come into play,your old 700 rem wont be a safe queen forever,just keep her there till you are ready to get serious.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 06-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 5,688
Re: remington vs savage

Quote:
I want an action that doesnt feel like its made out of recycled chew cans when I cycle it,I want a factory trigger that I can tune to my standards with basic tools,I want a rifle that looks as good as it shoots
The very same reasons I'm shooting a Savage, go figure. I also like not shooting a rifle that doesn't need thousands of aftermarket parts. They do need the stocks swapped out, I'm really liking the Medalist that mine is riding in.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 06-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central Arizona
Posts: 62
Re: remington vs savage

NONYA,
Oh, I hear ya! When I was first introduced to computers I was trained on a Mac. When I decided to get one of my own I went to a computer store to look around at what was available. To my surprise, you could find everything there was for Mac's on a couple of shelves. The entire rest of the store was full of stuff for IBM PCs. So I appreciate your point if one is going to get into swapping or ungrading parts of their chosen rifle. I don't participate at that level. I tend to find someting that fits me, has proven dependable, and is capable of whatever I ask of it. Savage has always met my needs and I have seen no reason to look elsewhere. I have the Remington simply due to buying into the market hype. Either brand produces rifles that are generally far beyond my aged abilities.
Now when I WAS competitive, I bought the best I could get, and expect others do likewise. Still have a Match M1 Garand in my safe that was built by Roland Beavers, a former USMC armorer. But at some point, one has to accept that there are times when we can have a Ferarri but are better suited driving an Oldsmobile. Different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 06-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Panama City, Fl.
Posts: 17
Re: remington vs savage

I own both,savage in .308 bull barrel 10fp with HS tactical stock. Worked up loads and she shoots balloons at 500 yrds all day long. I also have a .300 winmag pss that I had customized at Aquila firearms in Texas. TACK DRIVER. However as factory guns go. You cant go wrong with a savage. Definition of accuracy. Rick
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 06-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 196
Re: remington vs savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONYA View Post

I just set new barrels on two Rem 700's,im not a gunsmith,and Ill put either of them up against your best shooting savage any day at 500+ yards,Id bet you for rifles but I wouldnt want one of em.Sure they are cheap,sure a retarded spider monkey can get the barrel off,sure the trigger looks cool,none of these things are selling points for me.I want an action that doesnt feel like its made out of recycled chew cans when I cycle it,I want a factory trigger that I can tune to my standards with basic tools,I want a rifle that looks as good as it shoots,I want a rifle that has virtually thousands of over the counter parts/barrels/triggers/stocks/ect.ect.I built a barrel vice,I bought a go/no go guage,a couple new barrel lugs and these rifles are every bit as easy to work on as a Savage,if I remember correctly my savage shooting buddy had to buy a barrel wrench before he could rebarell his brand new Savage that grouped 2" at 100 with every kind of hand load and factory ammo we fed it.If Savages were priced as high as a Rem hardly anyone would buy them,thats a fact that Im sure your not willing to admit but its the truth.You get what you pay for,you can stuff a bad ass motor into a 74 Nova,but it will always be a 74 Nova.I dont give a damn what is going to move on todays market,I grew up wih a Rem in my hand and Ive only had one of the almost 100 I have owned let me down (POS semi auto 22 lr 597 POS),why even consider a brand name that just recently decided to pull it s head out and build something even worht considering if you cant afford a Rem 700?Rem has some newer models that they put out for todays market,in hand they feel like crap,they look like s^%$ and they shoot pretty good,just like a Savage.
Plus 1

As for the trigger thing, my factory remington trigger after ajusting is three time better then that gimic savage triger. just save your money alittle longer and get a remington.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: remington vs savage
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Savage vs Remington matt_3479 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 58 05-21-2013 04:38 PM
223 in Remington or Savage. Yogi Long Range Hunting & Shooting 16 11-17-2008 02:07 PM
remington vrs savage .223 foreign The Basics, Starting Out 4 09-10-2008 12:03 AM
Remington or Savage? jax338 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 10 01-02-2006 08:58 PM
savage vs remington Long Range Hunting & Shooting 9 03-03-2003 04:14 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.


All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC