Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

remington vs savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 05:35 AM

remington vs savage

Out of these two rifles which is the better out of the box gun
Old 06-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: remington vs savage

IMO, Savage.
There was a time when Remington ruled the roost. They are an American icon. I have read and heard of a few quality and customer support issues with "Big Green" and it seems at times they just don't give a hoot weither you, as an individual buy their rifles on not. It's like "if you don't buy them, someone else will" and if a issue comes up with the rifle "you should be glad you have a Remington". They are classy rifles (if there is such a thing) and have a foot hold in the LR accuracy market, thanks in part to US Snipers/government. (Hey let's use what the snipers use!) Not knocking them one bit. I have owned (still got two) several and they were all pretty darn accurate once I tweaked them (trigger tunes/barrel floats/tailored loads, etc.)
Enter Savage: as I remember it, they started out making accurate rifles. People called and thought of them (me included) as ugly and cheap. They heard the complaints of the cheesy, no support stocks (Tuperware) and the horrible, unadjustable (up to a point) triggers. Riflemen were buying them and replacing the triggers and either sprucing up the stocks with paint and bedding or replacing them. Savage put their fingers on the American rifleman's pulse and did something about it. They seem to want their share of the market and don't mind going above and beyond to get it.
First they came out with the AccuTrigger. Most like it, some don't. It sure as heck beats the old style trigger and you don't have to fork out another $75-100.00 to get an aftermarket trigger. Now they have come up/out with the AccuStock. Their answer to the Tuperware stocks. I have yet to own a Savage with either the new trigger or stock, but I will.
The Savage 112BVSS in .300WinMag that I currently own is one accurate beast! I love the laminated stock that came with it. The thought of sending it out for a bedding job was a fleeting thought after I first bought it. That thought quickly left once I shot it. WOW! It's putting three 180gn SMK into one ragged hole at over 3100fps! It had the old style trigger and I have replaced it with a Rifle Basix. What a sweet trigger!
When it comes to buying rifles I now let my experience and head dictate what to buy. Like my ole' beer drinking buddy used to say, "The choice is yours, make it light on yourself". Good luck in your decision. JohnnyK.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Gold Member

Cadillac VS. Geo tracker,and the tracker has an ugly nut between the action and barrel

Old 06-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

They can both be great shooters out of the box. If I had to bet $100 on which one would shoot the best group right out of the box, no doubt I'd put my money on the Savage. The trigger is better!

Beyond the accuracy, the Savage is much easier to work on without the need for a gunsmith (setting headspace, changing barrels, adjusting the trigger etc.).

The Remington is easier to bed (in my opinion). They are also prettier (so what!), the newer Savages are coming from the factory 'prettier' than they used to though.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 06-26-2009, 01:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONYA View Post
Cadillac VS. Geo tracker,and the tracker has an ugly nut between the action and barrel

That is one big stretch. The barrel nut bothers some people more than others. To me it just means I don't need a gunsmith when it comes time to rebarrel.

Savage factory barrels are head an shoulders better, the trigger is better, the action looks near identical and gets around the absolute need to be trued by using the floating bolt head.

If you can do a good bedding job you can build a darn good shooting Savage on your reloading bench.

Me thinks you are confused about which is the better rifle in TODAYS market!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Stirring it up a little bit
Why not consider the new Winchester Model 70. New stock, new trigger.???
Old 06-26-2009, 05:59 PM

Savage may not have the infinite amount of aftermarket parts that Remington has. However, they come in strong in the market with the ability to mix and match barrels, bolt heads, etc. to allow the home gunsmith build what he wants. I have both and I think the Remingtons of today are not what they once were. Remington is sitting fat, dumb and happy with it's large customer base and Cerebrus is all about the bottom line which is unlike Ron Coburn which is listening to it's shooters.

They both have merit but if looking b/t the two, there are other contenders as well that best Remington these days.