Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Remington under fire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington under fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Well That would be an accident if it hit anyone not Remington's fault. and again fire arms don't
just lay in wait until someone gets in front of them to go off.

If someone shoots a steel target to close and the bullet comes back and hits them
whose fault is that.

We see stupid stuff happen all the time and it all ways ends up being the operators fault
not the weapons.

I am sorry that you feel that I am "In the weeds" as you said but in order for someone to
get hurt by a firearm a safety rule has to be broken plain and simple.

J E CUSTOM
Sorry JE---cannot remember how many years ago---over 26 as I was not married yet but getting into my truck my 700 went off when I let the safety off to unchamber the round. NEVER since then do I carry a loaded round in the chamber --yes the barrel was pointed at the ground.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new shooter View Post
Come on 5 MILLION SOLD. To dozen death? Lets see 24 into 5 Million What % is that ? Out of the to dozen deaths how many had there finger on the trigger with safty off? I think the lawyers are just looking to get a big payday. Sure CNBC liberal hate guns.
+1

Yea all we need is to have more trigger like the Ruger mark II's. 10 + pounds and a half inch of slack!!

Remington posted this on there Facebook page a little while ago..
YouTube - CNBC Expert Cannot Replicate Misfire
Old 10-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

I have a 600 Rem that was recalled 1n 1975? I had an incident last year, thought my girlfriend just didn't want to shoot a deer and dissmissed it. I have a 700 that it happened with . I dismissed that as my fault. Chambered a 06 reload that the case was too long for the chamber and went off. That was my fault. However the problem does exist. Will buying a Timmney or other after market trigger solve the problem ?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Silver Member

I bought a Jewell trigger for my 700, and installed it without any adjustments made by myself, straight from the factory. I cocked the bolt, and slammed it home pretty hard, and the firing pin dropped. I did this safety check a few more times, and then increased the sear engagement until it was safe. The point is that even with a completely different trigger design, you can still get unintentional firings if the trigger is not adjusted properly.

To the people who had misfires: Did you adjust your letoff, or sear engagement?
Old 10-21-2010, 08:40 AM

Post deleted as I am not yet sure what is really going on here but this issue has me very concerned.

Last edited by Steve6; 10-21-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
in order for someone to
get hurt by a firearm a safety rule has to be broken plain and simple.

J E CUSTOM

+1

Exactly..since when did a trailer become a safe and effective backstop?...or a wall composed of drywall?...come on people, lets all get real here...as a long time firearm enthusiast, veteran, firearms instructer, and hunter education safety instructor, the very first thing that comes to mind is muzzle awareness...there is no safety mechanism greater than the one that resides between your ears...if that safety fails, then you are gonna get hurt, regardless of what make, model, or style of firearm you are using....last year or the year before last, i cant remember exactly, knife injuries became the number one killer in the hunting woods, surpassing hypothermia....how many knife companies got sued I wonder?...
Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Sorry JE---cannot remember how many years ago---over 26 as I was not married yet but getting into my truck my 700 went off when I let the safety off to unchamber the round. NEVER since then do I carry a loaded round in the chamber --yes the barrel was pointed at the ground.
No apologies required.

I have found that over many years of handling firearms if a firearm does something that it is
not supposed to do, there has been something that has not been cared for or it has been
tampered with by an unqualified person or just poor judgement on the owners part.

I have had one accidental discharge in my life that was an alteration that I though would
make the rifle more user friendly. It was an old leaver action that I had put a scope on
making the hammer hard to reach, so I bought a hammer spur that extended the hammer out
to one side. I though it was a slick idea until I went walking through the woods and caught
it on some vines pulling the hammer back just far enough to discharge the rifle scarring the
hell out of me. It came off immediately.

I did not blame it on anyone just my own stupidity for not seeing that it could happen.

I have been in a vehicle when a round went off and it is scary but like you said it can be avoided by not loading it untill you are ready to hunt.

When I guided I required that all firearms were unloaded and sheathed before it was allowed
in the truck And I never had a accidental discharge, But several times I had to stop a client
from taking his rifle/ shotgun out and loading it "Just in case he saw something".

This has been a good post and should be taken as a reminder that one should not tamper
with a weapon if he is not qualified and safe handling of firearms is a must.

I would hate to see Remington go the way of Ruger,Colt and others that let themselves
be intimidated by absurd lawsuits and bleeding hart liberals that just want to
take our guns by any method possible.

Again : just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM