Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Remington SPS Long Range Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 01:33 AM

Remington SPS Long Range Rifle

Does anybody have any experience with this new rifle from remington yet? Seems new for 2012 and comes in 25-06, 7mm rem mag, and 300 mag. and runs about 750$
Old 02-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington SPS Long Range Rifle

Seems to be a varmint model with larger cartidges. I've got a few buddies that have the SPS and they seem to be decent shooters.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo 4 View Post
Seems to be a varmint model with larger cartidges. I've got a few buddies that have the SPS and they seem to be decent shooters.
The regular SPS models are the sorriest examples of Rem 700's that were ever produced
Old 02-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
The regular SPS models are the sorriest examples of Rem 700's that were ever produced
Ha-ha-ha!
The regular models are definitely not their best work, I was just saying they shoot decently enough. Especially the tac models.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
30 years ago you would have never seen Remington put the stuff, they are turning out now, on a retail shelf. Remiington wonders why Savage's market share continues to grow.

They seem to be going along the lines of making the guns more available at a certain price point. Considering the consumer reviews of their guns, I wonder how Remington feels this is working out for them? To sell a long reputation of quality for a few shares of the market at a lower price point does not seem to be the way I would go. But what do I know, I am not a CEO of a company like this.

That being said, I would take the money and buy a Savage.

Before we end up turning this thread into the long old debate of "Chevy vs Ford", I am a long supporter of Remington and love their guns. But I know when I see a good product.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Gold Member

I've been a longtime fan of The Remington 700. I guess it started when I was little and I looked longingly at my fathers hunting rifle. since then I've grown to love the action. That being Said. I'm not at all impressed with the newer 700s. I currently have 3 and have had up to 6 at one time, but I lean toward the older models. They seem to have been done right. 2 are customs and one is a early model VLS. All are extremely accurate.

I'm saddened to see Remington go this direction. Until things improve, I'll keep picking up the old ones as I find them and turning them into what I want. There isn't a big company out there building exactly what I want anyway.

Dan
Old 02-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1 View Post
I've been a longtime fan of The Remington 700. I guess it started when I was little and I looked longingly at my fathers hunting rifle. since then I've grown to love the action. That being Said. I'm not at all impressed with the newer 700s. I currently have 3 and have had up to 6 at one time, but I lean toward the older models. They seem to have been done right. 2 are customs and one is a early model VLS. All are extremely accurate.

I'm saddened to see Remington go this direction. Until things improve, I'll keep picking up the old ones as I find them and turning them into what I want. There isn't a big company out there building exactly what I want anyway.

Dan
Well said! I have a Remington 700 BDL that was built in the early 80's. It still is in it's original factory condition. It's 10 times the gun that anything Remington is putting out right now. I want to break it down and use the action, but I have a hard time since it was my first rifle and was given to me by my dad.