Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Remington Sendero, which Leupold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington Sendero, which Leupold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
The best leupold you can buy is the one that says "ZEISS" on the side of it!

I recommend the Zeiss 6.5-20x50 wtih target turrets and MilDot reticle.

Or you could buy the Vortex Viper HS Long Range 6-24x50 with the XLR reticle.

Either would make an excellent addition to your already excellent rifle purchase.
I'm awfully happy with my Vortex's so far but I must say that I found the glass/image quality appreciably better with the Viper PST's than the HS models.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
you can probably find a 6-20x50 or 8.5-25x50
Just a small side note to magnification. I like as much as I can get on the top end just for job security. But I had a bad incident a few years back where I was shooting into the sun and even with a sun shade I coudln't see the deer I was shooting at until I was on 6x or below. 8.5 was just too much of a minimum for that sort of instance so that is why I went with the 6.5-20

The Vortex PST's are quite nice. That is probably one thing I would sell the scope I have to go buy myself, just for the reticle more than anything probably.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm awfully happy with my Vortex's so far but I must say that I found the glass/image quality appreciably better with the Viper PST's than the HS models.
Really? Even with them being $50 apart in price? I'm talking about the 6-24x50 FFP XLR Long Range model that is $899...Not the $599 models. Also, have you used the Viper HS LR 4-16x50 BDC model that is $599? How did you like it? How was the glass for the price range? Was is near Conquest quality?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Really? Even with them being $50 apart in price? I'm talking about the 6-24x50 FFP XLR Long Range model that is $899...Not the $599 models. Also, have you used the Viper HS LR 4-16x50 BDC model that is $599? How did you like it? How was the glass for the price range? Was is near Conquest quality?
Yep I was talking about the HS. I had one in the 4-19 and one in the 6-24. Compared to the PST I was really disappointed.

I sold both of them and replaced one with a Leupold and the other with the PST in 6-24. The PST's glass wise I think compare very well to the Conquest but the HS just isn't in the same league. They were ok but around the margins they were a bit blurry and overall just not as crisp and sharp.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yep I was talking about the HS. I had one in the 4-19 and one in the 6-24. Compared to the PST I was really disappointed.

I sold both of them and replaced one with a Leupold and the other with the PST in 6-24. The PST's glass wise I think compare very well to the Conquest but the HS just isn't in the same league. They were ok but around the margins they were a bit blurry and overall just not as crisp and sharp.
So, for $599 range, for a 500 yard and under, hunting scope, would the 4-16x50 HS LR (single exposed elevation turret) with the BDC be an alright scope. Looking for something decent for my lightweight whitetail 7RM that I'm building. It's a budget build, and I think that particular scope would be nice on there for out to 500 yard shots...Maybe longer if I get a good load dialed in with the "factory" Remington 26" sporter barrel (trued shoulder, threads, and headspacing by the smith, of course) on a trued 700 action with a stainless .186" PTG lug, & nestled in a B&C Medalist. I think she should be a real shooter. It will have to be for next year, since season started and I didn't get it to the smith to have the work done yet... Still kicking myself for that one. I procrastinated, therefore I screwed myself over. Can't really complain too much. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So, for $599 range, for a 500 yard and under, hunting scope, would the 4-16x50 HS LR (single exposed elevation turret) with the BDC be an alright scope. Looking for something decent for my lightweight whitetail 7RM that I'm building. It's a budget build, and I think that particular scope would be nice on there for out to 500 yard shots...Maybe longer if I get a good load dialed in with the "factory" Remington 26" sporter barrel (trued shoulder, threads, and headspacing by the smith, of course) on a trued 700 action with a stainless .186" PTG lug, & nestled in a B&C Medalist. I think she should be a real shooter. It will have to be for next year, since season started and I didn't get it to the smith to have the work done yet... Still kicking myself for that one. I procrastinated, therefore I screwed myself over. Can't really complain too much. LOL
For deer probably just fine, but not what I'd call a good varminter scope for even those ranges.

For clairity and crispness I would rate the 50mm PST's about equal to the 44mm Conquests and VXIII 40mm Leupolds (almost as good as the 50mm) but the HS's I had were not quite up to that standard. The HS I'd put closer to the VXII's vs the VXII or Mark 4 resolution wise.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

I would suggest the MK4 4.5-14 PR #56140. If you shop around you can find one with a duplex reticle in the $700.00 range. It has 30MM tube 1/4 min target turrets and side focus. That will give you another $300.00 for rings/bases or reloading components or a Jewel trigger, nice hard case etc.