Originally Posted by NickC
Have a Remington Sendero 7mm magnum - 26 inch barrel-that I am setting up .Be intersted in hearing from anyone who has some experence in what has proved suitable in
1) Scope and mounts
2)Commercial Ammunition :Comercial loads that have given good performance from this rifle
3)Hand Loads : what wgt projectile and powder type that has given good performance
I note there is enough balisitic energy to make a kill out to 1000yrd but the most common range I will shoot will be 300- 800 yrds . Target animals Red Deer- slightly lighter than Elk
Any help so I avoid pitfalls and mistakes will be appreciated
1) Get the best glass you can afford. Budget really is the key here.
2) At those ranges a zero MOA mount is all you need. EGW makes a nice heavy duty 0 moa rail that will work well for you well worth the money.
3) I really like the TSRW rings. I have them on four different rifles and they've been great for me.
4) Float it, bed it, mount up your glass and shoot it.
5) Winchester Supreme 140gr ballistic silver tips worked great for me for everything from prairie dogs to coyotes, to very large hogs.
6) HSM makes some good VLD loads for the 7mm Rem as I recall so they'd be worth looking at. So far all the HSM ammo I've shot performed well; but haven't shot any of it in 7mm Rem.
7) A muzzle brake is not a necessity but they sure do make shooting more fun if for no other reason than allowing you to spot your own impacts even at relatively close ranges by reducing muzzle flip. There are a number of very good ones on the market including some built by our forum sponsors.