Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

remington sandero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 05:32 PM

remington sandero

Hey guys I bought a remington sandero in 7mm and im just wondering how far i should take customizing it: How soon should i re-barrel it (for accuracy), should i do it at all, and when i do im considering going to 300 RUM is this possible
Old 06-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Gold Member

Re: remington sandero

Shoot it and see.
A lot of sendero's don't need much done to them at all. I have heard of some guy's do a skim bed of the bedding block, lighten or replace the trigger if you think it is necessary.

Stu.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Silver Member

Bought a Sendero 7 mag a little over a year ago. Haven't finished breaking it in yet and haven't fine tuned loads for it yet. It is runnig 3/4 to 1" groups now. I hope to tighten this up a bit more. The only thing I have done to it is to lightened the trigger. I got a pronghorn at 250 yards with it this past Oct. with 140 gr. BT.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

I'll go with Stu also. Shoot it and do a barrel break-in and see what it will do first before you start throwing money at it. It may shoot good enough with just lightening the trigger.
I bought my first 7mmRemMag Sendero in 96 and I think the barrel lasted to about 2002 before I really started to notice the roughness in the throat area. Even then it would still maintain 1/2" or better. Best guess on the round count was between 1200-1500 rounds. JohnnyK.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 PM
SPONSOR

love mine.

had it recrowned, and a new trigger

It will kill anything in North America.... how dead do you want it ?

168 VLD's at 200 yards 5 shots ... for a $900 factory rifle... shoots as good or better than any custom rifle.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Sendero_Man,
WOW! Thats some fine shootin!

JohnnyK,
12-1500 rounds with a 7mag is pretty darn good Id say.

It seems you Rem lovers are in love for a reason. Thats just flat IMPRESSIVE!! Especially for a ''factory'' rifle.

CoyotekillerSD,
Im gonna chime in with Kiwi3006 Stu, and the rest of the guys. I dont think Id throw 1 red cent at it untill youve played with it a bit and see what its capable of. Minus tinkering with the trigger.
Good luck.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

These guys are correct. Just shoot it first to see what it needs.

Most Sendero's don't need hardly anything. My Sendero SF 7mmSTW didn't need anything but a trigger job, and a good piece of glass on top of it as soon as I pulled it out of the box. Then again, that was MANY moons ago (about 7 or 8 years). She's been an excellent shooter, and will shoot 1 ragged hole at 100 yards even with cheap glass on top of it. I used to experiment with different scopes on it, to see if the recoil would throw the scopes off.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.