Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Remington AWR II vs Weatherby Mark V ultra lightweight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 09:16 PM

Remington AWR II vs Weatherby Mark V ultra lightweight

Looking to buy a new rifle. Got it narrowed down to one of these. Looking for opinions on which one is a better buy. The weatherby is 3/4 of a pounds lighter and cheaper. Is there anything the remington has over the weatherby? Never owned a Weatherby. All my guns are Remington's. Appreciate any input. 300 Weatherby vs 300 RUM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Remington AWR II vs Weatherby Mark V ultra lightweight

I like Weatherby rifles, but I am finding that upgrading the Remington 700 is much easier. If I had it to do again, I'd probably get a 700 for that reason.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

We've got an Ultralight in 7mm Wby. So far it has kills on antelope at 500+ and 800+ yards. There is nothing not to like about it.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyx View Post
Looking to buy a new rifle. Got it narrowed down to one of these. Looking for opinions on which one is a better buy. The weatherby is 3/4 of a pounds lighter and cheaper. Is there anything the remington has over the weatherby? Never owned a Weatherby. All my guns are Remington's. Appreciate any input. 300 Weatherby vs 300 RUM.
The only real negative to Weatherby rifles is that if you are going to shoot weatherby factory ammo you will need deep pockets.

Usually they are excellent out of the box shooters that need very little if any tuning and tweaking.

If you want to do any customizing or upgrading though options are very limited.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

I like weatherby calibers, the mk5 is stronger than the 700, but limited to a new trigger, truing, and a few stocks, I would most likely buy a weatherby but it would be the accumark, sometimes the ultra lights don't shoot that great and heat up fast because of the little pencil barrels. If you use factory ammo both the weatherby and the rum will cost you 60-70$ a box for accubond or partition loads, if you reload wby takes the advantage due to better brass. Also with factory loads they both run neck an neck velocity wise, reloading gives the rum about 100-125fps more with full on loads, but they are still about equal if you load the rum where you can get more than 2 or 3 loads per case.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Compare the price and availability of factory ammo for both calibers.

300 Weatherby Mag. AmmoEngine: .300 Weatherby Magnum, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

300 RUM. AmmoEngine: .300 RUM / .300 Remington Ultra Magnum, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

300 Weatherby Mag.

Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

300 RUM

Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

This is why I own a 300WM and a 300 Rum, but not a 300 Weatherby.

Also there's the simple issue of what does one do when off on a long hunting trip away from home, in another state etc if you get separated from your ammo.

I live in a mudpuddle of a small West Texas Town and even here I can just run down to the store and get ammo for either the 300's I own, but not the 300 Weatherby.

The weatherby calibers are all very functional, I just don't need the headaches that ammunition availability and cost for them provides.

Of course this is also why I don't shoot any wildcats.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:04 AM
Silver Member

I have two weatherby's . Love my Ultra-lite w/ leupold compact. I just installed a Timmney trigger and it does have a full compliment of Tubb lapping bullets through it. I reload my bullets. My Euromark -I guess is more for show.