Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Remington 700 sendero SFII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 09:30 PM

Remington 700 sendero SFII

I'm looking for some feedback on this gun. Gonna start rifle hunting w/ my Son in Law. I'm an archery guy but he's not. My daughter loves the idea of us hunting together. We went on a rifle cow elk hunt together and I had a blast with him. We're hunting open country w/ long shots very probable. I need a gun that's accurate obviously plus packs a punch. Originally I was looking at a 300 Weatherby Accumark. Now I'm looking at a Rem 700 SSII in 300 Win mag. A member on this sight also suggested that I could also have the barrel rechambered for 300 WBY if I was sold on that calber. Which is a fantastic and simple idea that I didn't know was possible. Anyway what do guys think? I've shouldered both. I like the Rem a better plus it's alittle lighter.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:45 PM

Re: Remington 700 sendero SFII

I just bought one in 7mm rm this year. Really happy with it, found a good load with 180 bergers and magazine length is not an issue and I have them loaded out pretty far. Under 1/2 moa so far out to 300 yards
Old 11-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

I have a Sendero fitted with a match barrel, installed a Jewell trigger and trued the action. It's in 300 RUM though but is pushing the 230 gr Bergers at 3170. It's taken a few animals LR and ELR this year with good results. No complaints I can think of in my case. The Jewell is a nice addition but if funds are an issue not necessary if you can make the factory trigger work for you.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1simplemann View Post
I'm looking for some feedback on this gun. Gonna start rifle hunting w/ my Son in Law. I'm an archery guy but he's not. My daughter loves the idea of us hunting together. We went on a rifle cow elk hunt together and I had a blast with him. We're hunting open country w/ long shots very probable. I need a gun that's accurate obviously plus packs a punch. Originally I was looking at a 300 Weatherby Accumark. Now I'm looking at a Rem 700 SSII in 300 Win mag. A member on this sight also suggested that I could also have the barrel rechambered for 300 WBY if I was sold on that calber. Which is a fantastic and simple idea that I didn't know was possible. Anyway what do guys think? I've shouldered both. I like the Rem a better plus it's alittle lighter.
A sendero in any caliber is never a bad choice. They are amongst the most accurate out of the box weapons you can buy and the price is more than reasonable.

Not a thing wrong with the accumark either they are quality wise very smiliar to the sendero but they are pricier.

The 300wm is more than adequate for your purposes.

The 300wby is as well, but comes with a bit more recoil and muzzle flash.

The 300Rum is an excellent choice as well but again comes with a bit more of a price in terms of muzzle blast and recoil.

With a good muzzle brake and recoil pad they can all be very manageable especially in the heavier platforms of the Accumark and Sendero.

Before buying anything bigger than the 300wm as always I'd encourage a guy to find a place he can shoot one in the caliber of choice before purchasing to make sure the recoil is not a problem for the shooter.

It doesn't make one a weenie to say "this kicks too much for me". One of the main reasons you find so many of the bigger magnums for sale at a a bargain with very little use is because of all the people who buy one, then shoot it, and say "That's more than I want to handle".
Old 11-16-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
A sendero in any caliber is never a bad choice. They are amongst the most accurate out of the box weapons you can buy and the price is more than reasonable.

Not a thing wrong with the accumark either they are quality wise very smiliar to the sendero but they are pricier.

The 300wm is more than adequate for your purposes.

The 300wby is as well, but comes with a bit more recoil and muzzle flash.

The 300Rum is an excellent choice as well but again comes with a bit more of a price in terms of muzzle blast and recoil.

With a good muzzle brake and recoil pad they can all be very manageable especially in the heavier platforms of the Accumark and Sendero.

Before buying anything bigger than the 300wm as always I'd encourage a guy to find a place he can shoot one in the caliber of choice before purchasing to make sure the recoil is not a problem for the shooter.

It doesn't make one a weenie to say "this kicks too much for me". One of the main reasons you find so many of the bigger magnums for sale at a a bargain with very little use is because of all the people who buy one, then shoot it, and say "That's more than I want to handle".
I'm chomping at the bit to shoot my BnL's 300WBY and the my friend's 300 Win Mag. I'll have to wait till season's over. RUM isn't the caliber for me though. As far as the recoil, I should be OK. My single shot turkey gun w/ 2 oz loads hits HARD! It has made grown men flinch by 2 feet. After 2-3 shots most don't want to shoot it anymore. Makes me laugh especially when I warned them beforehand but they still insist they can handle it. Still in all, good advice. I probably won't change the trigger. Stock trigger is ok for now. Out of the box, the gun looks like it will do what I'm asking it to do. Maybe get another barrel but 1st I'm going to have to talk to my gunsmith. He's really busy these days so I don't want to bother him. You also brought up a good point in that I may be able to get a good deal after the season. There's no rush so I'll just keep my eyes open, be patient and see what comes up.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

I have 2 Sendero SF's and a 5R MilSpec (similar to Sendero in price, quality, and accuracy), and they are shooters right out of the box.

I wouldn't hesitate on a Sendero. Or you could look for a 26" 5R MilSpec in a .300 WinMag, as well, and it will shoot like hellfire, too. The price of the 2 different models should be fairly close.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Bronze Member

I would consider ammo price and availability unless your reloading. For example when we were in Wyoming on our mule deer hunt, a guy from our group needed a box of shells the local sporting goods store had the 300 win mag but didn't have any weatherby ammo instock. So moral of the story bring plenty of ammo.

https://screen.yahoo.com/sofa-king-000000974.html