Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Remington 700 Sendero ( out of box accuracy good or bad)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide View Post
Mine shot well out of the box. I have 2 Sendero's in 300 RUM and have made changes to both for better accuracy. I changed out the factory triggers with jewell triggers, Skim bedded the actions, Proper barrel break in, Final Finish rounds by Tubbs, And spend money for good optics. One will shoot .325 MOA and the other is right at .275 MOA. I have Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 on both. I have the Holland reticle on all my scopes as well. My longest kill to date was a cow elk at 1092 yards. Have killed many animals between 500-800 yard range and dispatched a prarie dog at 873 yards with my RUM. I love this cartridge. I also use the tubbs throat maintence kit every 200-250 rounds just to help out barrel life.
Hope this helps.
What Bullet do you shoot with your 300?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

I shoot factory ammo. Remington 180 Gr. Swift Scirocco Power level 3.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
If you have done the research you will know that the odds are you will get one with acceptable accuracy. Shooting at 1k or more has more to do with skill than a super accurate .2 MOA rifle. While it is true that an accurate rifle is the only one worth having it is also paramount to have the prerequisite skill sets to use it properly. My thought is to buy the rifle and you will wear out a tube or two before you can truly understand what I am saying. I have rifles that shoot much better than I am able and that is very important esp. at 1k. Why-----easy answer if you are making adjustments for conditions letís say, the rifle, ammunition, rest, and or the shooter must be up to the task or it is all for naught. Guessing is not the best way to put lead in the target whatever it is.

Find someone who can teach you the correct way to do the above and you will be very satisfied with your shooting.

I am by no means a beginner in longrange shooting, I have never used a Remington. My hunting days started with a ruger now I have a very high quality (in my oppinion) Savage 300 WSM. I am a very good shot, but I still strive to have a rifle that shoots sub minute of angle at 100 yrds. I am always looking for new information to better my accuracy and distance, we all should. I know my limits and I strive to extend those limits. I have set my goals for 1 shot kills on my animals and have succeeded in this over the last 7 hunting seasons on Mule deer and Elk ranging from 300 yards out to 800 yards. I shoot hundreds of rounds every year to prepare for the one that counts in the fall. I just needed some info on the caliber at hand. I was told that the Remington sendero was a great rifle. I am not familiar with them at all that was why I asked for insight from others.

thanks for all of the info about my questions from all of you, I will be looking into trying to buy this rifle in the 300 RUM once the wife allows it. (got to keep the boss happy) if you know what I mean.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

You are on the right track and I will let you know that if you are looking for an 800 yard rifle you will have to get or borrow a chrono to get a good handle on your velocities. At that range it becomes critical due to the drop. Also try and chrono in the same temps that you will be hunting in because temp differences can change the velocity considerably..