Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Remington 700 5R .308 or Remington 700 5R .300 Win Mag???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Remington 700 5R .308 or Remington 700 5R .300 Win Mag???

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay View Post
Right now I say 300 winmag because you cant find any 308 ammo anywhere. Funny how people always say to buy the most common caliber rifle so when times get tough you can always find ammo....well times are tough and the most common calibers are non existant.
300 win mag is still around at most places. Im happy I have a 270 wsm, I can still find that at every store.
223 and 308 are nowhere!

But during normal times I say 308 for fun and medium distance hunting, 300 win for way out there stuff
I have a Glock 31C .357 Sig, and I can't find ammo anywhere. Odd-ball caliber, yet, no ammo in a 75 mile radius of me. So, not necessarily a true statement.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacsniper0888 View Post
Thanks so much guys! I was thinking the same thing and even if I don't have the time to hand load I can always run lake city M118LR's through it. That's the 175 grain round the military issues to its snipers with the M24 and the new XM110 SASS. Also federal gold medal match is hat to beat from what I hear, especially in these rifles and I thought about shooting some black hills as well. I thought if I went the factory match ammo route .308 would definitely be cheaper! And the more ammo you can afford to buy the more you get to shoot, the better you become! I'm also going to have my smith thread the end of the barrel for a holland radial discharge type brake I bought off one of the members here. He makes them himself on a CNC lathe out of stainless bar stock. Wanna really be able to spot my own shots. And another thing I considered was that the .30 was more comparable in performance to the edge so would rather have something milder. Hey mudrunner2005, nice rig! What scope are you running?
Thanks man! That's a Konus M-30 8.5-32x52 scope with an EGW HD 20 MOA base, with TPS aluminum HD Medium rings. It is an awesome setup, however, with the 20 MOA base, the scope runs out of elevation upward so I cannot sight in @ 100 yards without shooting the 4th top Mil-Dot for 168gr. For 175, I am having to shoot the bottom of the top crosshair, which is where a 5th Mil would be. And when shooting 210gr Berger VLD's I don't even have a mark for that. LOL So, today the EGW HD 0 MOA base came in stock @ Midway, so I ordered one of those, too, so I can actuLly shoot @ 100 and 0-dope. LOL and when I shoot long-range I can swap on my 20 MOA, unless I buy a different scope later on. Either way, it's always good to have a backup base.

Also, for factory ammo the Hornady redbox TAP 168 HPBT's are fhe most accurate factory load I've ever shot.

Also the Hornady Match 168 HPBT's are next in-line in the most accurate factory ammo I've shot.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I have a Glock 31C .357 Sig, and I can't find ammo anywhere. Odd-ball caliber, yet, no ammo in a 75 mile radius of me. So, not necessarily a true statement.
I dont know about pistol ammo, but I have been able to find quite a bit of 300win mag 270win 270wsm and 7mm rem

once DHS gets caught up on their ammo hoarding that they plan on using against the people, then maybe the shelves will be stocked again...and once the people stop the panic buying....but thats a different story
Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay View Post
I dont know about pistol ammo, but I have been able to find quite a bit of 300win mag 270win 270wsm and 7mm rem

once DHS gets caught up on their ammo hoarding that they plan on using against the people, then maybe the shelves will be stocked again...and once the people stop the panic buying....but thats a different story
Yeah, tell me about it....Don't even get me started on that gov't crap...I'll hurt a few Obama supporters feelings. Doubt there's many on here, but there's alwYs a few lurking around in the bowels of the forum....Oh how appropriate an analogy. Hahaha!

I see ammo everywhere (except .22), b/c I don't shop Walmart for ammo. I have a local outdoors store that has lots of ammo in stock, in all different calibers, now that all the gun ban talk has slowed down over the last several weeks, and especially since the gun ban talk is dead, now. Thank God!

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

I have a few 5Rs in 308 that I have put thousands of rounds through for several years, and a more recently purchased 300WM 5R that I have a few hundred rounds through so far. These rifles are exceptionally accurate right out of the box. For high volume practice shooting I think you can't beat the economy of the 308, particularly since you are well stocked with components. While 1000 yard, or further shooting can certainly be done with the 308, practicing at this range tends to be more quality than quantity shooting with wind reading skill development being primary component. I personally would lean towards the 300WM for serious high precision practice at this range. I think the extra 300 FPS with heavy, high BC VLD's (like 210VLD's @ 2800FPS) would be more representative of your 338's ballistics, and provide an advantage in hit percentage at this range. IMO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

I'm shooting 210 VLD's @ just a hair under 2,400 fps with my .308 Win 5R. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at 1000 with that load.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I'm shooting 210 VLD's @ just a hair under 2,400 fps with my .308 Win 5R. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at 1000 with that load.
What's your powder choice?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.