Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Remington .270 Long Range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 08:08 AM

Remington .270 Long Range?

Hey Guys,

Clearly I am a new guy here and interested in long range shooting/hunting. My question is do I need to start over with a new rifle or is the .270 I have in the window for Long range? I've a Rem .270BDL, the action has already been professionally beded, the bolt trued to the action and the trigger worked to a safe hunting weight. It appears that a barrel in is order as I can only get .750 accuracy at 100 yards. Of course that may be because I haven't started handloading yet and have been using factory ammo. I usually buy 3 or 4 boxes from the same batch and then sight in with those and make them my hunting rounds. I thought that this winter I might send the gun off for a new barrel and start reloading. Any recommendations?
Regards,
Gregg
Old 12-14-2005, 09:13 AM

Re: Remington .270 Long Range?

Your gun is fine to get into the longrange thing. Reloading is almost a must when you get into this game. How many rounds through the barrel? I would start reloading before changing the barrel. I shoot a 270 win tikka. My shooting range goes to 750 yards and I am comfortable taking deer at 5-600y. I reload using Wildcat bullets and get just under 1/2 inch groups at 100y.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:17 AM

Greg,
I'm in the same boat as you. I was recently in Montana and needed better optics and I thought a better rifle. I was able to shoot a doe at 396 yards (according to the range finder) with my .270 Browning A-bolt hunter (no work done to it) with factory ammo off my friend's homemade tripod/gunrest. I had sighted my rifle in at 320 yards with roughly a 4" grouping prior to my shot. Not a bad shot for a novice.
I'm sure there was a lot of luck involved. I am curious to see what the experts say about your question.
My friend has a .300 winchester (all kinds of work done to it) with a 6x24 elite scope on it. I shot my buck at 300 yards with his rifle. This seemed to be a much easier, comfortable shot. No doubt about that shot.
That is why I am currently looking for a new rifle. I was told about the Sendero or the Savage 112BVSS (thinking .300 win mag. because my friend loads this caliber) for longer range shooting. Leaning towards the Savage because it's cheaper.
If anyone has any advice on this rifle, please e-mail me.
Good luck with your shooting Greg. Hope I didn't waste your time rambling.
Scott
Old 12-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

What animals are you hunting? For deer your fine. Whats going to limit your range is the caliber. There's just not that many good bullets available for .277cal. I would start with Nosler Ballistic Tips, Hornady Interbond and SST's, and see if they shoot.

Dont sweat all this talk of .25in groups every time, if you can get consistant .75 inch groups at 100yds thats fine. What I mean by consistant is every time you go and shoot groups, measure them all, even the "fliers", and whatever the average is, thats what your gun is capable of. A one or two time .5 group does not make a half inch rifle.

What kind of scope do you have? Almost any gun will shoot good enough for moderate ranges, but without a capable scope it isnt going to happen.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Gold Member

It's very easy to move up to 270 Ackley Improved when you rebarrel. It adds just enough more powder volume to the case to really bring the speed up. My chrono testing has shown it being equal to the 270 weatherby out of my long barrel

It's an excellent sub 400 yard varmit gun with 100's and 110's and long range or big game with the 150 sbt.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

A new barrel will certainly help your groups especially if it is fitted to a fully accurized receiver and bedded properly.

In the 270 caliber, there are no better long range bullets out there then the Wildcat Bullets. E-mail Richard Graves at wildcatbullets@hotmail.com and tell him what you have. I would suspect he will recommend something in the 140-150 gr ULD RBBT range for long range shooting and hunting.

If you want to go long range with the 270 caliber rounds, the best and only bullet choice in my opinion is the Wildcat ULD RBBTs. Best commercial bullet in my opinion would be the 140 gr Accubond but still feel the Wildcats are vastly superior for long range shooting and hunting.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-14-2005, 10:24 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, it looks like I will be learning about reloading in the very near future. I think I'll start there and then re-evaluate if I need a new barrel. The current gun was used when I bought it so I really don't know how many rounds have been down the pipe. I have probably shot 400+ rounds through it. I have a Leupold 4.5 to 14 x 50 scope on it at this time.

One of the guys I work with shoots competition at Camp Perry, he too said to start reloading if I want better accurracy. Since I'm going to be in that mode now, what reloading manuals/books do you recommend for the beginner? Thanks again for all the ideas.

Regards,
Gregg