Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

REM sendero question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Bronze Member

REM sendero question

I've been debating on looking into these rifles for a while. Remington just hasnt ever stood out to me for some reason. I love their guns but i feel like i can get more for my money ... but the sendero seems to be a great gun. a neighbor has one that shoots great and i know other people that like them just as well. I want to know anything you can tell me about their preformance and pros & cons of this gun, because it's a high contender for my next gun. what caliber would you suggest ... 300 ultra ??? then after awhile rebarrel to 338 edge ... or 300 win mag or 7mm stw.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: REM sendero question

I have a sendero 300RUM, its an ok gun. But having said that after I bought mine I was at a local gunsmiths shop and took a look at his custom 1000 yard 3000RUM and wished I would have known about it and would have paid the price for the custom gun over the sendero. I have had my sendero accurized, installed a jewell trigger, installed a wyatt extended box magazine, put a 20moa nightforce rail and nightforce rings on it, had a limbsaver recoil pad put on it.
They are ok guns, they are not the gun Remington claims they are. I have a friend who has a sendero 7RUM and he feels the same way as me, he went out and bought a tikka 308 and has found that he enjoys shooting it more then the sendero.
The sendero's are very deep throated, I can load a round, from tip of bullet to base its 4 inches long and I am still not touching the lands.
If I could find someone that would buy it with all the supplies I have for it, I would sell it in a heart beat and go buy a full custom or semi custom 7MM Rem mag. I just wished I could find someone to buy it. Good luck on your decision.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Cartridge is mostly personal preference relative to your desired application.

I bought a used 1st generation Sendero on Gunbroker just over a year ago.

It was a great buy and is an excellent rifle.

Mine is 7mm Rem Mag.

I own many rifles. This was my first Rem. It's not a miracle stick. ...although my 14 yo son killed a doe at 548yds last season which I think is a fine accomplishment and attributable in some part to a solid rifle that shoots Berger 180 VLDs sub-MOA out to 940 yds which is the farthest he's had a chance to shoot.

In any case, it's a great rifle that I can build into a very nice custom going forward. I would not be too ashamed to own a few more in various calibers.

-- richard
Old 05-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

I've got the VSSF, nothing more than the short action version of the Sendaro.
Only thing I did was put in a Jewell trigger set at 10oz. and mount a Nightforce 3.5-15X56 on it.

I may have got lucky, but I have absolutely no complaints on this rifle at all, except maybe it gets just a little heavy when walking all day long.

Here's a few targets I saved from when I was working up loads for it.

3 shot groups and 5 and 6 shot groups at 100.
3 shot groups at 200,300 and 400.
It's taken many, many coyotes at 400-500 yds.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
REM sendero question-22-250-vssf-100yds.jpg   REM sendero question-22-250-vssf-200-400yds.jpg  

Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 AM
Platinum Member

My son William at the age of 16 y/o had just shot a small doe at 482 yards. One shot.
Same, rifle, 300 RUM Sendero, was used by my son Marlon to take an Elk at 470 Yards. Again one shot! I'm a happy owener of this gun and intend to keep it for
many years to come, the Lord willing!

Here is William at 17 with an antelope shot at 350 Yards with the same rifle.

This same rifle, shot 18 shots at 302 yards; 6 "3 shot groups", each group had diff-
erent powder charges and the grand average for all groups was 0.737 MOA at 302 yards.
Two of the groups had 0.537 MOA and 0.507 MOA.... Not bad for a skim bedded
and re-adjusted trigger factory rifle. Yeah, it also has a muzzle break!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Silver Member

They are great rifles for the price.I've got one in a 7mag and one in a 7STW.Both rifles shoot really well,but I did bed the recoil lugs and adjusted the triggers on them.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

I think Remington rifles are good the sendero being the best but gives you a great platform to work off on. I own 3 Remington rifles.