Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

REM 22-250 VSSF ll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Silver Member

REM 22-250 VSSF ll

Not sure if I made a good choice or not and I have the opportunity to sell the gun for what I paid for it. I have a buyer that will take it. Thats if I made a poor decision. I just recently sold my
22-250 Savage Model 12 Single Shot and with that money, I purchased Rem. 22-250 VSSF ll. Heres my concern. I've been hearing over and over that I made a poor decision on buying the REM and I should have stuck with a Savage 12 that had a mag instead of a single... thats the reason I sold it. Didn't want a single shot. I kind of figured that the VSSF ll would be a real shooter, but I'm hearing that it will never hold a candle to the Savage model 12. Is this true? Before I set this gun up and shoot it, I would like to know from knowledgable shooters if it would be in my best intrest to sell it and buy the Savage. Thanks for any help that you may offer.

Jason
Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Gold Member

Re: REM 22-250 VSSF ll

for what its worth, I only own one savage, and it's a good shooter. I own MANY Remingtons, and they ALL shoot extremely well. Some were just easier than others to "tune".
Old 01-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

I had the 700 VSSF in 22-250 and it shot better than me on most days. I think if I didn't own a rifle, and was looking to buy new, that I would be going with the Savage because it appears that a higher percentage of them shoot well without a lot of work. With a Remington you may get a great shooter out of the box, I did. Or you may have to have to develop a load for it. Or you may have to have some work done to it before it shoots well.

You never said how well the Remington shot. Have you tried various factory ammo with it to see if it has a preference? Mine liked Hornady 50 grain best at 3/8" but the Winchester was close behind at 1/2" and at the time it was $2 per box cheaper. That was good enough for me. Your wants and needs are probably different than mine.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Silver Member

I have yet to shoot the Remington.... so my question on how well the gun shoot is unknown. The gentleman who said he will buy the gun off me likes the idea that it hasn't been shot yet, so thats why I'm wondering if I should sell it and buy the Savage. I assumed that the REM being that it is the VSSF ll in all, would be an excellent gun for accuracy. I also liked the way it looks and it matches the look of my 300 RUM SFll..... ha ha. Anyway, the Savage I sold was amazing with factory 50g Hornady ammo. Crazy grouping out of the Led Sled. From what I've been hearing, the accuracy even in the VSSF ll just isn't there. Thanks guys.

....maybe I'll just shoot the dang thing and keep it. I'll never know otherwise.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Gold Member

That remington has all the goodies box stock. It is essentially the same gun as a sendero just a short actions. I have 3 and they all shoot lights out. That guy is full of crap. Every manufacture makes a lemon from time to time but the senderos and vssfs are known for shooting out of the box. Good luck with your nice gun. Oh and if you want a savage instead I will go buy one and trade you.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Gold Member

Savage's notoriously shoot GREAT right out of the box but for me, they are soooo freakin fugly I just can't bring myself to buy one.

If your VSSF doesn't shoot the way you like send it off and have a good quality, anything faster than 1-14, barrel installed and you'll be good to go.

There is another thing Savage does that's right. You can get a faster than 1-14 twist 22-250 right out of the box but I still don't think I could get over the fuglyness of them.

Keep it, shoot it, rebarrel it, shoot the barrel out of it and rebarrel it again. Can't never go wrong with a M700 and they look good too. I know I know I'm shallow right. lol
Old 01-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

I on the other hand am a huge Savage advocate. I own two and planning on buying more. The model 12 varminter is a great rifle. I own the Mod12 Low Profile and it has proven to be a shooter when I do my part.

These would be my next options if I were to buy another model Savage in a non-magnum configuration and varminting purposes. Though I would build a magnum off of their target action. That has proven to be a good combination. I have shot and get a chance to shoot a 338 Lapua built on the Savage target action.

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 VLP DBM

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 LRPV Left Port

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 LRPV DBM

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 FVSS

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 FV

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 BTCSS

Savage Arms Firearms > 10 Predator Hunter Brush

Just to give some props to the Remmy crowd, I do own an older Model 7 .243 that shoots very well. I did glass bed the stock and did some trigger work. Remmy's are nice, but require a little prep work to get to that point. I did my own work with research online.

I just figure the money that I put into a Remmy to make it shoot good (truing the action, new trigger), can go into the optics for a Savage out of the box!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!