Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

regular rifle regular caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: regular rifle regular caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazador1022 View Post
Thank you all.
I have a Tikka in .300wm but I have a Nikon w BDC reticle.
I also have a Remington 700 in 30.06 w a Leopold vx3 6.5x20
I think the basics are covered, I just have to PUT IN THE WORK and practice.

I am tempted to switch the scopes and put a Leopold on the Tikka.
1-What do you guys think?
2-Also should I get the custom turrets from Leopold?

Again, thank you all.
Put it on whichever of the two shoots the best groups for you at 100yds.

I wouldn't suggest custom turrets but for about 130.00 buck you can send it in to Leupold and they'll install either target or M1 turrets for you.

Custom turrets are a nice shortcut, the problem is you need different turrets anytime you change loads or substantially change elevation and conditions.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Cazador/hunter- the 6.5-20 leup is an awesome scope. getting factory rifles with factory to shoot good at long range can be challenging/ frustrating. by simply adding a krieger barrel to a remington 700 it can save a LOT of TIMe and FRUSTration and ammuntion cost. it is not work ; my krieger barrels - i pour some powder in case, crunch a bullet on it , viihoola, .5 inch groups. some factory rifles i know will work- are the remington sendero and the winchester laredo. my son inlaw won the first 1000 yard match he shot in with a winchester laredo in 7mm mag. he had never fired a centerfire rifle. the 300 wm mag is a tremendous long range round . also it is very forgiving. all the sendero 300wm we load for really shoot well without a lot of load development. my son shot a 15 shot group you could cover with a sheet of notebook paper, 1000 yards.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Bronze Member

All of don't realize how much I appreciate all the encouragement, knowledge and help you are providing a new long range shooter. Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 03:45 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazador1022 View Post
I understand the value and superior performance of modern wildcats and ultra expensive "platforms" (used to be called a rifle).

I would be very interested in learning about any of you who do long range shooting and hunting with more common FACTORY calibers such as 30.06 Springfield and a regular off the shelf rifle like a Remington 700. Basically something a normal blue collar guy like me could buy.
As far as glass is concerned, ..Heck some of the scopes I read about cost more than my 2001 Toyota. So for arguments sake, lets say a Leopold or Bushnell or Nikon for glass.

Any in put in any of these areas would be greatly appreciated.
Yes you can do long range with a factory rifle, but each person has their own idea of what long range is. Just stay proficient with your rifle and shoot it alot so you can learn your limitations. That will give you an idea of how far you can shoot something when hunting.