Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

regarding hunting with sierra match king and 300RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2004, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: regarding hunting with sierra match king and 300RUM

seems to me everyone who said they "penciled" right thru the deer all had behind the shoulder shots- lung hits. and yet desired results werent present? what do you expect? i've hit them behind the shoulder myself with bullets other than SMK's and they run off just the same. granted, they dont make it over 100 yards, but on a lung shot i'm not expecting to drop a deer. now, ask anyone who's touched a shoulder blade with a SMK what their results were. probably the same as a hornady or berger or ballistic tip- not a step further.

as said time and time before- shot placement is everything. you hit a shoulder, chances are they aint moving. hit a lung and they probably wont go far, but they're still gonna go some- regardless of what bullet you use. SMK kill just as well as anything else.

bottom line- use what you need to put the bullet where you want it. you do that, and you'll be alright.

-brian
Old 04-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

I'm with Mountain Man. I use 200 grain SMK's out of a 300 Weatherby @ 2800 fps. I have had no trouble dropping deer in their tracks with this combo. I'm a shoulder shooter too. Most don't take one step.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Silver Member

bullet weight needs to be looked at as well. i can see a lighter bullet doing a good bit of damage to the lung area, but the SMK's i shoot in my 300rum are 220gr. i dont care if its a 220gr ballistic tip, i'm guessing a bullet that weight passing thru the lungs isnt going to open much, if at all- period. the ol' man uses the 107gr SMK's in his 243. most of what he shoots doesnt take too many steps regardless of where he hits. his lighter bullets dont hold up as well as mine. final outcome though? same thing. a deer down for every shot.

bullet placement works.

-brian
Old 04-13-2004, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not sure that you can lump all those bullets into the same terminal performance catagory.

I've hit whitetails in the shoulder with a Ballistic Tip launched from my STW and the bullet splattered all over the place and the deer kept going. Place the same bullet behind the shoulder and the deer OFTEN do a verticle drop. Now thats humane! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Oddly enough, even a 120gr Sierra Spitzer (from the STW) will drop a whitetail on his nose, but I would hate to have it hit any heavy bone.

There is a bullet for every purpose. We just need to choose wisely.

VH
Old 04-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Bullet weight point well taken. I can reduce the average whitetail at 400yds to a white blur in the scope with a 150gr SMK in 7mm dia,..but as I was hunting the permits with my match gun,..the 200gr SMK from the 300RUM was the fodder for the summer. I used the match load so as not to waste the competitive barrel life while working a load for a lighter pill. I am sure a 168gr SMK would perform extraordinarily at the closer ranges.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

my barrels must be different. I have had no animal take a step when my balistic tips hit the lung,..heart, etc softer areas. I usually get a huge exit wound and obliterated internals. My shoulder shots with the SMK's were more successful,..but I don't expect to "have to" shoot a certain point. If my best shot offering is the lung area,..that's what I aim for. And as stated,..once they slowed up a bit,..they did perform with excellent results. My theory is that is the hollow point was opened up some,..the close range "pencil" observation would be non-existent.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:36 AM

Lol......."2900 yards for elk"? No 30 cal bullet has enough energy at 2900the yards to effectively hunt elk. That's reduliculous. I have shot many elk with many different weapons and I can tell you now that is a bunch of bull hockey. Now go ahead and argue...............