Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Recovered a Bull Caribou by Blood Trail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Recovered a Bull Caribou by Blood Trail

Looks like he kinda sprung a leak for some reason You Alaska guys make me a little jealous but only a little

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Paul glad you will make it one more winter. Good shooting. Best prime rib I ever ate came from one of them bad boys down in Cadalack, Quebec on a bear hunt with a French lumberjack that NO-Speaka-da-English.
Is that on the COPPER River? Yea, he should have used Mobile 1.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Silver Member

Nice job Paul!

Rich's bullets are a well kept secret. I think he has it figured out. I need to try some in my 30-38 Lapua Improved.

That bull has the same coloration as a Talkeetna Mountain "Bou" I shot a few years back.

Oh yea, nice bull too! Were you sheep hunting as well?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Congrats on a job well done ... and thanks for sharing!.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHRTSHTR View Post
Nice job Paul!

Rich's bullets are a well kept secret. I think he has it figured out. I need to try some in my 30-38 Lapua Improved.

That bull has the same coloration as a Talkeetna Mountain "Bou" I shot a few years back.

Oh yea, nice bull too! Were you sheep hunting as well?
Hi Ray, and thanks guys. A profuse loss of blood in my experience, and I thought the photo exposed that fact well and that others might also be impressed. I don't think I've ever seen blood flowing out both sides like this. The animal was running 3/4 speed while this blood loss occurred. Imagine what it might have looked like had he just been walking after bullet impact!

Rich's bullets shoot very well (accurate) out of my .300 Win Mag. Better than any other bullet I've tried to date. This particular model is designed to open up at much lower impact velocity than standard factory fodder making them ideal for very long range shots. It was my desire, and I had intended to, shoot this bull at 700 yds, but once he began moving he came in my direction and just kept coming at a caribou's lope. Which is pretty darn quick. I couldn't readjust the vertical dope as quickly as he was traveling my way. At about 400 yds he started moving broadside with gave me a chance to get squared away.

Indeed I was searching for a Dall ram leading into the opener of sheep/caribou season, but was unable to find a legal full-curl ram. So we then changed gears and relocated some distance to concentrate on caribou.

As to coloration, this one is a little darker than he might have looked in another couple of weeks. Also, it was getting on towards evening. The photo of the blood trail was actually taken by with camera 'flash'. Photo adjusting computer software lightened up the photo to make the best of the actual lighting conditions, and I think that makes the bull appear just a tad darker than he might have if you'd been standing next to him. The antlers in full dark velvet may also play a role. In a couple more weeks the antlers would be velvet free.

Paul