Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

recoil v accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Bronze Member

recoil v accuracy

How much efect can rocoil have on a rifles accuracy not counting a flinch. I ask becouse I have a .300 win mag that shoots anywhere from 1 to 3moa at 100 yards. Its a howa 1500 with a glass and pillar bedded richards microfit tac driver stock.

Although it kicks pretty hard I dont have a flinch. It has a tendency to miss a feed if I cycle it fast, so I do that on purpose without looking. I do it just to make sure I havnt developed a flinch. If it dry fires and I jump, or close my eyes then I know Ive got work to do.

My problem is that when it settles after the shot Im not looking at the target any more and it isnt always pointing the same direction after the shot. What can I do to help with my follow through.

I should add that when I shoot prone the rifle is a bit more well behaved except that it jumps on the bipod and twists in my hand.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Bronze Member

Re: recoil v accuracy

Does it string vertically or horizontally, or it is just random? I ask because I just got a Savage Bear Hunter in 300 WM and first trip to the range I got a 2" horizontal string. The vertical dispersion was less than an inch, so I know the rifle's better than that.

In fact, I recently posted in Snipers Hide in the Basic Marksmanship forum about the horizontal stringing--if you care to, look it up there, there are some good replies.

Horizontal Stringing - Sniper's Hide Forums

Basically, get off the bipod and onto bags, work up a consistent NPA and follow-through on recoil. I'm a pretty good shot with my .22, but I need to work on consistency with the heavy recoil of the 300 WM. Of course, it's that much more fun to shoot as well. Hopefully a deer or two won't think so this November...
Old 07-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

I believe harder recoiling rifles are just a little tougher to shoot well. They probably take more practice to get to shoot well also.

Darrell Holland says that the bullet is still inside the barrel for the first few fractions of an inch of recoil. That being said, the recoil path needs to stay consistant for good groups. We don't want to be influencing the path differently from one shot to the next.

I believe heavier rifles help with groups. Reasoning is that they don't begin to move as soon as light ones do, and they don't move as far as light ones do. Powder charge/bullet weight/velocity being equal of course.

In one of David Tubbs' videos, he comments on shooting light weight heavy recoiling guns from the bench. He says that he believes that holding onto the gun, especially the forend, helps with getting good groups because it helps ensure the rifle is jumping/recoiling less that way. For a guy like him that shoots both hands on the rifle quite often, he probably is pretty sensitive about how he is holding the forend too.

FWIW, the most amazing groups I've ever shot were basically free recoil, I wasn't influencing the recoil action at all, because the only part of the rifle I was touching at the shot was the trigger. These were 22 and 24 calibers that were 9-17 lbs weight though. This isn't possible with hard kickers obviously, so I guess the answer with hard kickers is to hold the gun, but hold it as consistant at possible.?

Old 07-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Bronze Member

From the bench there is no chance of me holding it still. I am very small and it pushes me back ALOT. From prone I dont move at all but still the rifle jumps and I cant hold it down.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwolf View Post
From the bench there is no chance of me holding it still. I am very small and it pushes me back ALOT. From prone I dont move at all but still the rifle jumps and I cant hold it down.
A muzzle brake is always an option to tame it down a little.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Some rifles do not like hard sand bags under the fore end. Try placing a folded towel over the front sandbags or rest and see if the groups decrease.What it sounds like is inconsistent placement on the front bag and inconsistent technique.

If it shoots better from a bipod then go that route.

Could be lots of contributing factors such as the rifle does not like the load you are using or the scope is not adjusted for parallax.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwolf View Post
How much efect can rocoil have on a rifles accuracy not counting a flinch. I ask becouse I have a .300 win mag that shoots anywhere from 1 to 3moa at 100 yards. Its a howa 1500 with a glass and pillar bedded richards microfit tac driver stock.

Although it kicks pretty hard I dont have a flinch. It has a tendency to miss a feed if I cycle it fast, so I do that on purpose without looking. I do it just to make sure I havnt developed a flinch. If it dry fires and I jump, or close my eyes then I know Ive got work to do.

My problem is that when it settles after the shot Im not looking at the target any more and it isnt always pointing the same direction after the shot. What can I do to help with my follow through.

I should add that when I shoot prone the rifle is a bit more well behaved except that it jumps on the bipod and twists in my hand.
Recoil occurs as the bullet exits the barrel because of the "equal and opposite" reaction. Essentially the expulsion of the bullet and hot gasses turns your barrel into something of a rocket moving in the opposite direction of the force which creates the recoil.

There is a small fraciton of gas which escapes ahead of the round, but not enough to cause a significant recoil effect.

As long as the bullet and gases remain in the barrel and chamber, there really is no movement of the rifle in the opposite direction.

In all likelihood your problem is your own reaction you just don't realize you are flinching.

As for not remaining on target, that is natural. Without a good muzzle brake you cannot.

Installing a good muzzle brake and good recoil reducing pad will do you a lot of good.

If it still won't shoot better than 1MOA it's a matter of skill or your rifle not liking the load providing that is, it's been properly accurized.

Last edited by WildRose; 07-03-2011 at 05:54 PM.