Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Recoil on a 300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Recoil on a 300 Win Mag

Two things to try if you do not want a brake.

1. Assume that you have the wooden stock, add a mercury recoil reducer in the butt. Cost under $75 normally. Can also add it to the glass models, but must be glassed in.

2. Wood stocks transfer a "sharper" recoil pulse and seem to have more recoil than fiberglass which tends to flex a little and give more of less harsher push. So you could go to a glass stock with a larger butt footprint and recoil reducing pad (limbsaver). Bell and Carson is under $200 and fits that bill.

Unread 12-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Bronze Member

Synthetic stock. I do shoot with DOUBLE hearing protection at the range.

I have never owned a gun with a break but have shot some at the range. I can tell they REALLY have muzzle blast.

I agree it should not be that big of a deal for 1 or 2 shots a year but you only get on pair.

Unread 12-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

should not be that big of a deal for 1 or 2 shots a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hell it isn't! A big deal that is even for 1 shot.

I've fired 1 round w/o ear protection. I knew that something was missing but couldn't figure out what. Plus the wind pattern that I was shoot in had momentarily returned. When the winny barked, it hurt!

OUCH [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

With any rifle that uses a primer that has any umph at all, and shot w/o hearing protection, there is measureable hearing loss with each shot. It may be small put accumulates. Just don't do it.

RE: Carry rifle weight. I'm 5'10", 20+ lbs over weight and fairly out of shapt. A 10.8 lb rifle doesn't seem to be much of a problem when strolling through Idaho's mountains for most of several days at a time.
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Unread 12-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

My 300 Win Mag. recoil doesn't bother me. My 300 RUM recoil doesn't bother me. I'm 5'10" and weight 193lbs. I know this helps. I've been shooting almost all my life. That helps too. My rifles have scopes and slings no extra weight in the stock. I have a brake on a rifle that needed one. And when I hunt with it I take it off but in your case I'd leave it on and us ear muffs to save my hearing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Unread 12-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

The recoil from my 300 win wiht no brake does not bother me and I still wear ear muffs or plugs whenever I shoot. I figure that my hearing is more important that killing something. I will have many chances to shoot animals but only one set of ears. I also find that I shoot better with hearing protection because I don't flinch from the recoil it is from the noise.
Unread 12-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

My 300 win kicked my ass, I got a new stock ( Stockade ) synthetic with a mercury reducer in it and a Limbsavers pad and now it shoots like my .270
Unread 12-31-2005, 09:32 PM
Bronze Member

My personal experience with "hard-recoiling" rifles/calibers is to re-stock them with a classical design stock, either wood or synthetic. That significantly reduced felt recoil. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but heavy recoil from a rifle or cartridge that does not produce such recoil is definitely noticeable to me and I make any/all corrections to eliminate it. Two examples of what I'm talking about:
First an older 300 WM that punished my shoulder. I ended up selling that rifle off to my brother-in-law (I don't like him much), and replaced it with a 26" barreled Ruger #1 with a classic stock. I shot the rifle for years with only moderate recoil; Second, I routinely shoot a 375 H&H, with bullets from 235- to 300-gr (this cartridge is infamous for heavy recoil), and it's not uncommon for me to place three shots @ 100-yds, all touching, and moderate felt recoil. Again, the rifle is stocked with a classic design wood stock.
Too often gun mfrs stock their rifles with "modern" or "trendy" stylish stocks. This may be great when shooting a .223 Rem, but have no place when shooting a large case capacity cartridge from 7mm on up.
Regarding one or two shots not being a big deal, possibly.
But if you develop a flinch when practicing due to harsh recoil, what do you think you'll do when making that "one or two shots"? I read accounts where hunters in Africa, armed with .460 Weatherbys have completely missed an elephant at 50-yds or less!
I've also noted that when I use slower/slowest burning powders, especially with heavy bullets, the felt recoil is altered from a 'punch' to a 'shove'. This may or may not be helpful in your situation as you don't mention your load info.