Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Recoil on a 300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2005, 11:00 AM
Bronze Member

Recoil on a 300 Win Mag

I have a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .300 Win Mag. Great shooting gun (.5 or less if I do my part) but it will break your shoulder. I had shoulder surgery a year ago so I REALLY don't like getting hammered with it.

I really don't want to put a break on it because of the loud muzzle blast but would consider it. What else can I do other than putting another stock and kick pad.

I have some smoking loads for this gun in 168 Barnes and 180 Accubond.

Would you consider this a long range capable gun?

Gary
Old 12-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Recoil on a 300 Win Mag

One way folks can reduce recoil without changing the outward appearance of their shoulder breaker is to add some weight.

Remove the barreled action, then rout out some stock material under the barrel. Mix some No. 9 lead shot with epoxy, then put it in the routed out area; be sure it's not gonna touch the barrel.

You can also remove the butt pad, drill some holes in the buttstock then fill 'em with the same lead shot and epoxy mix.

Regarding its capabilities as a long range gun, that depends on both it, the ammo and you. If these three things can keep all (not a few) fired shots inside 2 MOA at any long range, then the "system" is a long range one. Find a 500 yard range and shoot 20 shots then measure the group. You'll find out if you qualify. Do not (repeat, do not) base your system's long range abilities on a few shots fired at 100 yards; it doesn't work that way.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with Bart B as that is what I did to a 338 win mag

It was bloody painful. Orig. owner had the stock all screwed up. Even with the decelerator recoil pad (too soft) it jammed the point of the butt (top) into the shoulder.

Step one: Installed a "grind to fit" Limbsaver recoil pad. Left the rear at original width an tapered the sides to the width of the butt(1 masking tape thickness).

Marked improvement, however not enough for me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Steps 2 & 3: W/dremel hawged out a spot in the forearm for a about 3/4 pound of lead. Melted number 8 shot and poured it in. (didn't smolder or catch fire or anything [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img])

Took largest drill bit that would fit in my 3/8" drill motor. As carefully as I could with out coming out the side and leaving "enough" wood I drills a many holes as seemed reasonable into the butt as deep as I could get them. Poured till about full. Amazing, that end of the stock didn't smolder or flame either......

Be careful and don't overflow any of that hot stuff it'll mess up the finish.

That brought it up to way better than 10 pounds (10.8 w/scope/sling/bipod. Results were pretty sweet.

Step 4: Had a Holland QD brake installed. Now that's what I'm talking about [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Now she's a sweetheart to shoot and is accurate enough to be a varmint rifle.

Having said all of that, if you can get along without the brake, it would be well. If you install the brake you will most probably have to upgrade the scope!!! Mine didn't last 10 shots after the brake installation. Then you have to get a "really" good one. I ended up with a Weaver Tactical (out of production) and never looked back.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Bronze Member

I know a break would do it but just don't like the noise and hearing loss. 10lbs is too much to pack around since that is what the gun would be used for. 8.5max.

It has a Leupold VX-III 4.5x14. Think that would not stand up?

Archer
Old 12-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Bronze Member

Could the same thing be accomplished by replacing the stock with another type and better recoil pad?

Archer
Old 12-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

AE,

Roy pretty covered all the bases . I think the important thing is that he pointed out that the " brake " was what turned him on in this process [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

Hearing loss ? You do wear protection at the range , yes ? Good , then the occasional hunting shot won't be a problem. Buuuut , if it is then wear something then as well [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] cause if it is really long range you will have time !

A great thing about long range hunting is that you have so much time to think whilst you wait on that shot you have been angling for [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hope your celebration of Christs birth was full of happiness,

Jim Brown
Old 12-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Gold Member

Shooting techique! It's often forgotten. Light weight rifles transmit more recoil to the shooter in any caliber. I was given a light weight semi-auto 12 gauge on my 11th birthday. I might have been all of 80 pounds. I only weigh 172 pounds today 36 years later. Neither of my .458 calibers have brakes. Although I admit I can only take about 20 rounds of 400 or 500 grain max loaded before I call it quits bench rest shooting. I've also done the quick shot with my 458 Win Mag without good shoulder placement and touched off a round. My upper bicept was purple for 3-4 days before fading to an ugly green.

I do have a shooting jacket with a external shoulder butt pad. I've also seen the strap on types to be worn.

Get your self used to good rifle butt placement and really pull it hard into your shoulder before you pull the trigger. Then your like part of the gun when it goes off. Another thing that I've laughed about with friends is touch off a couple of max load .458's and then everything else will seem like a plinking gun.