Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Received income tax rebate - must have new gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Bronze Member

Received income tax rebate - must have new gun

Ok-the more I read the the more confused I get. I am looking to buy or build a gun. In the last five years I have shot deer and elk from 40 yards to a little over 500 (most shots average 200 yards or less). I do reload and am partial to the 30 cal but not stuck on it. My family thrives off of the wild meat we harvest each year so don't want a gun that will waste meat with correct bullet placement. My goal is to be able to shot out to 700 yards without sacificing the abuilty to shoot at close range. I am mesmerized with the ballistic of these bullets, what are your thoughts?

• 257 stw
  • 7mm stw
  • 7mm um
  • 300 um
Old 03-10-2010, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Received income tax rebate - must have new gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by briar rabbit View Post
Ok-the more I read the the more confused I get. I am looking to buy or build a gun. In the last five years I have shot deer and elk from 40 yards to a little over 500 (most shots average 200 yards or less). I do reload and am partial to the 30 cal but not stuck on it. My family thrives off of the wild meat we harvest each year so don't want a gun that will waste meat with correct bullet placement. My goal is to be able to shot out to 700 yards without sacificing the abuilty to shoot at close range. I am mesmerized with the ballistic of these bullets, what are your thoughts?

• 257 stw
  • 7mm stw
  • 7mm um
  • 300 um
I think bullet choice what you need to look at after you decide which caliber you are going to shoot. Some bullets cause much more meat destruction than others. The mono metal bullets are going to be the best. I have shot a few and have chosen to use the GS bullets out of my big game rifles. I like 6.5mm or larger for up to elk size big game.

Steve
Old 03-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

257 at close range will field dress the game for you. Shot a CA Black Bear with a 300 RUM at 80 yds. Guide and butcher said I had significant meat loss because of excessive bullet velocity.All calibers listed are High velocity magnums
Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
257 at close range will field dress the game for you. Shot a CA Black Bear with a 300 RUM at 80 yds. Guide and butcher said I had significant meat loss because of excessive bullet velocity.All calibers listed are High velocity magnums
What bullet where you using?

Steve
Old 03-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Platinum Member

First off Briar Rabbit, I LIKE WHERE YOUR MIND IS AT! On the rare occasion I get $ back at tax time, I feel the need to celebrate in simmilar fassion worthy of a new rifle.
Im not fond of the metric system, but Im kinda leaning towards the 7mm RUM. out of the ones you mentioned. Paired up with a bonded bullet like 162gr IB, 700yds and less would do nicely. IMO
Any special reason for the 4 choices you laid out? Im not knockin your choices, just curious?
Truth be told Im a big 30 cal fan myself, but I just dont know enough about the 300RUM to give any advise. I love my 300wby tho

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briar rabbit View Post

• 257 stw
  • 7mm stw
  • 7mm um
  • 300 um
well briar rabbit you left out one. The 6.5mm STW if you look into that one i think it might impress you more than the other ones. I have 2, 7mmSTWs and love them and would not trade them for anything .......well except for maybe a 6.5mm STW which actually i have planned on taking the action off of one and building the 6.5stw when i get the funds. I have a 257 Wby mag so dont need the 257STW but i have a good friend who has one and he really likes it.
As far as the other ones on the list my bro has a 7mmum and likes it but there is no advantage of it over the STW. actually i think there is a drawback because you can only get Remington brass for the UM and i guess the same would be true for the 300.

A 257STW shooting a 115 Berger bullet at 3500FPS zeroed at 100 would be 111inches low at 800
A 6.5mm STW shooting a 140 Berger bullet at 3400FPS zeroed at 100 would be 104 inches low at 800

Thats why i like the 6.5
If however you dont want to deviate from your list go with the 7mm STW
Good luck with your decision
Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

there not rockets for sure and I know its not on your list but the 6.5x284 or 6.5wsm would be my choices.

I have a 300win a 300rum a 7stw a 338-378imp and a 338-408cheytac imp. and while all those are fine and dandy and fun to play with i guess ive just started moving down to the smaller stuff because I have just as much luck with stuff not running away and a 8lb jug of powder lasts alot longer.

Ps I havent got to play with the 338-408imp much but its a screamer. I have only gotten to do fire forming etc but i want to say that I was getting 3400 fairly easy with a 300smk.

If you have any questions email me at tito50bmg@yahoo.com