Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

rebarrel 7 rem mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

Re: rebarrel 7 rem mag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upacreek View Post
Thanks for the input. If I go stainless what finish holds up to a gun scabbard? Because I hike a lot a #4 is tempting. You guys think a #4 would be heavy enough to make 4-5" groups at 600yds?

Don't know what finish will absolutely hold up in a scabbard. Maybe one of the baked on coatings like Cera cote.

My Browning with a #4 barrel in 7mm will shoot 4-5 inches at 500 for every one who has tried from sandbags or bi-pod. This has been a pretty popular rifle to borrow at the range. We hang steel at 500 and bang away.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Any suggestions as to barrel length? I decided on 26", but could be swayed shorter. Considering a fluted #6 CM from krieger. I ride 4 hrs each way to my elk camp and hike steep mountains. If I go stainless what finish holds up to a gun scabbard? Because I hike a lot a #4 is tempting. You guys think a #4 would be heavy enough to make 4-5" groups at 600yds?
All finishes will show wear from constant rubbing in a lined scabbard. The best scabbard lining actually is nothing but soft goat or calf skin leather. Sheepskin looks great but in truth it's pretty abrasive.

Cerakote is the most resistant of all finishes if it's applied properly, baked in, and allowed the proper curing time.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Any suggestions as to barrel length? I decided on 26", but could be swayed shorter. Considering a fluted #6 CM from krieger. I ride 4 hrs each way to my elk camp and hike steep mountains. If I go stainless what finish holds up to a gun scabbard? Because I hike a lot a #4 is tempting. You guys think a #4 would be heavy enough to make 4-5" groups at 600yds?
You definitely want to stick with 26" or longer otherwise you are either wasting case capacity or bowing out a lot of still burning powder and not able to get optimum velocities. The bigger the muzzle flash the more recoil as well as the muzzle flash is essentially the same thing that makes rockets fly.