Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

rebarrel 7 rem mag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Bronze Member

rebarrel 7 rem mag?

Been lurking awhile. Been shooting the same rifle for 24 years and want to stick with it. Shot the barrel out of it so I paid the lowest bidder to hang a new shilen barrel on it. I asked for a tight chamber and 1/9 twist. Received a 1/12.5 freebored barrel. SUCK! NO recourse to take on the gun smith. Needless to say I want to start over. My research indicates I should go with a 1/8.5 twist but hart only offers 1/9 or 1/8. This gun will only see 160-180 gr loads and I want accuracy to 600 yrds.
Any one have real life experience that could help me decide what to do?
After spending good money on my trusty rifle I want it to stand out in my gun collection. Hart offers a skip twist flute, but I want to maintain a high gloss blue finish any suggestions? Hart doesn't advertise CM.
Any other input would be appreciated. Every other gun I have I can dial in through hand loads. This is my first rebarrel and don't want to screw up again.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: rebarrel 7 rem mag?

I would recomend a 1 in 9 twist in at least a #4 or larger contour.

The 1 in 9 will shoot all bullet weights in 7mm.

Talk to Dan Lilja about a barrel, you wont be sorry.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

If you are set on a 1-8.5 krieger offers that in CM. I agree that a 1-9 will get you where you want to go. I have a krieger on my 7mag. and am not disapointed there are several good manufactures out there. Lilja is good though I am going on second hand knowledge on that one. Kriegers lead time is at 26 wks right now unless they have what you want in stock. Cost is $310.00 Good luck.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Top 5 picks, Lilja, Benchmark, Bartlien, Kreiger, Brux. The 1:9 is plenty as stated, the only bullet I can think of that won't stabilize in a 9 twist at 7mm rm velocities may be bergers newest, the 195grn hunting hybrid. Hawk Hill customs offers a 8.7 twist but they only do stainless.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I would recomend a 1 in 9 twist in at least a #4 or larger contour.

The 1 in 9 will shoot all bullet weights in 7mm.

Talk to Dan Lilja about a barrel, you wont be sorry.

J E CUSTOM
I don't know if this helps out the op or not but the next barrel for my 7mag is, Lilja 28" #6 contour fluted SS, 1 in 9. barrel weight should finish at about 4lbs or slightly more, full 2lbs less than the barrel I have now.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
I don't know if this helps out the op or not but the next barrel for my 7mag is, Lilja 28" #6 contour fluted SS, 1 in 9. barrel weight should finish at about 4lbs or slightly more, full 2lbs less than the barrel I have now.
The #6 contour is one of my favorites, And is my go to barrel contour unless the customer
wants to go with something else.

The #6 contour will normally fit in most sporter stocks without removing to much wood.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions as to barrel length? I decided on 26", but could be swayed shorter. Considering a fluted #6 CM from krieger. I ride 4 hrs each way to my elk camp and hike steep mountains. If I go stainless what finish holds up to a gun scabbard? Because I hike a lot a #4 is tempting. You guys think a #4 would be heavy enough to make 4-5" groups at 600yds?