Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reason for long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2002, 04:14 PM

Re: Reason for long range

Mr. Cassel: Nope, no relation.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Shure we're related, we're brothers in the long range game. Now, if I was to post a complaint about this site-I would say it is the fact that I started so late and missed so much! Hope you guys don't mind repeating some techniques! Thanks again Darryl. Didn't relize we were catching so much hell from the ant-longrangers. All we can ask is for you 'all to keep up the good work. Really enjoy reading about everyone's reasons. Sounds like most of our reasons are purty close to the same. littletoes.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

The need to extend the range for a certain spot I wanted to hunt required a minimum 350yd shot.
I was always a better shot than anyone I hunted with, that gave me the confidence so I practiced for this the next summer. Keep in mind I was about 24 then and I never even heard of anything being killed outside of maybe 150yds, after all I grew up with a lever action Savage 308 and iron sights up until a couple years before this, scopes period were just plain new to me.

I killed a moose with the 338wm that fall and was hooked at LR, moving to the next clearing another 100yds out then the next. Everone thought I was crazy, using a piece of paper that had 350,400,450 and 500yd moa ajustments on it. Why for cryin out loud, they said, why would anybody use a 4x12 Nikon for hunting, all you'll see is fur and besides that's for target shooting not hunting.

Oh and lets not forget, What the hell are you doing shooting moose at 350yds from the hill for, your suppose to spot them up here and get close enough to "kill" them first not wound them from up here. When I found you guys back before LRH.com over at HA.com I felt like I wasn't alone on the island I had been stranded on for so long, so to speak. Kinda freaked me out a little. Kinda silly, I thought I was the only one doing this "nonsense" back then. Wow do I live a long way away. Glad I bought a computer back then. I've learned one hell of alot from you guys since then with alot more to go.

I just enjoyed the new challenge I was learning about. Much more effort was required to learn it but the spot was productive with moose. We've eaten well for years now. All have been 350-640 yards since then except last years "several feet" shot.

I think it's a disease now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: Brent ]