Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Rear rest/bag recommendation for field?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2005, 06:50 PM

Rear rest/bag recommendation for field?

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a rear bag/rest to be used w/ a tri-pod in the field. Something light and compact. Thanks, Mark H.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rear rest/bag recommendation for field?

I use a short BR Harris bi-pod up front and simply use my clenched fist in the rear. Works great for me and it's really fast. Taller bi-pods require a much taller rear rest.

VH
Old 08-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

Triad Tactical, call Steve Sheldon, order a sandbag from him and you are good to go - 25 bucks but I do not regret paying that since the bags are so well made and handy. Then find a two dollar carabiner and you can hook it to your pack, belt or where-ever. Works slick. I can send you an image if you like.

If you prefer to make one go to a craft store and buy a bag of plastic beads for making beenie babies, sew up a little bag to the size and shape you prefer.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

LR7WSM:

Ditto on what Ian said. Thay are great and work fantastic. Depending on whether you use them on end or on their side, you can vary the height.

You can see them "Here" . Look at the Redman rear bags. Look under Misc. shooting gear.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Go t some place that makes plastic containers (creamery) and ask for some. Put said beads in a HD hunting sock and tie a knot with carabiner in it and your GTG.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Another vote for Redmans bags [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] -- they work great, and he is a great guy -- get them at triad [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JB
Old 08-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

A day pack works well if you dont want to lug another piece of equipment around. Otherwise I use a Crown Royal bag filled with sand. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.