Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

A real LRH topic - I hope....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

A real LRH topic - I hope....

I'm referring to the first shot on this video.

good long range video

Here's a question for ya: Is that elk looking AT them or just IN their direction before he turns to walk off?. Also, notice the time delay between the "bark" and the elk hearing it.

Was there enough movement setting up for the shot both rifle and video camera, with those nifty reflective orange caps for the bull to really take notice of them? If he was looking @ them, were they too far away to be of concern to the bull? Did the bull even see them?

Would you have taken that shot from a sitting position?

Your thoughts please

Me thinks that in Idaho that 'bark' would have put the bull into high gear instead of stopping him. I'd do a whistle instead.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Gold Member

Hey Roy, just speaking for me I don't think I'd have taken the shot from a sitting position. Just doesn't feel solid enough.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

It's hard to tell whether or not Len needed to shoot from that position to clear some vegetation. Personally, I'm always laying in the dirt when taking the really long shots.

As far as the elk looking at them - he was probably just looking in the direction of their yelp; but who knows?
Old 03-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Sponsor

The big question was the amount of luck involved. Watch the video closely especially if you have the video and can put it on a big screen. You will notice that the shot lands midship (behind the diaphram) fortunately they had the elevation nutted and were shooting high shoulder and spined it. 2 or 3 inches lower and it would clearly be a gut shot. Knowing they are high shoulder shooters (as am I) they were around 16-20" off the mark in windage. One has to wonder if the high shooting position was the cause or a wind estimation error. I too like to be in the dirt when ever possible, but sometimes it just isn't possible. I like the the Beyond Belief video, great footage, I am not wild about their equipment or techniques but everyone likes what they like.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 03-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I'm referring to the first shot on this video.

good long range video

Here's a question for ya: Is that elk looking AT them or just IN their direction before he turns to walk off?. Also, notice the time delay between the "bark" and the elk hearing it.

Was there enough movement setting up for the shot both rifle and video camera, with those nifty reflective orange caps for the bull to really take notice of them? If he was looking @ them, were they too far away to be of concern to the bull? Did the bull even see them?

Would you have taken that shot from a sitting position?

Your thoughts please

Me thinks that in Idaho that 'bark' would have put the bull into high gear instead of stopping him. I'd do a whistle instead.
IMO, if they were quiet enough, didn't move too fast, and stayed out of the sun the bull probably would never have noticed. Some talking wouldn't have spooked him at that distance. Blaze orange makes little difference. The bull was never looking at them, just for the source of the noise. If i was confident in my rest, and my abilities, then yes I would have taken that shot. Turned out well for that guy. Longest shot i have taken sitting was 560, and he dropped like a rock. As far as the "bark", i have found it's not really the type of noice, but the volume or tone (urgency). I have seen plenty of deer and elk bolt at a whistle (or "bark" or grunt for that matter) if it's done too loudly or if the whistle seemed to excited. I won't make any noise unless it's an absolute last resort for what it's worth. That bull was not nervous at all and in all likelyhood would have presented a good shot without them stopping him, but things change when a camera is rolling.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Im very familiar with this video. I actually have owned it for quite some time. I love it. The guys at best of the west are the ones who got me excited about longrange hunting. There tactics are good. I don't use all their tactics the main one being the custom turrent. In my hunting the elevations and temps change to much and according to my charts some are extreme enough to change point of impact greatly. I figured if i have to use the shooting cards to convert, I might as well just use the factory turrent and use my shot cards for exact yardages and not for compensation of my custom turrent. has worked well for me so far.
I also don't miss a week of the best of the west shows on VS. channel every week. I love watching their show.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

You're just gonna have to go buy it now. And put er up on the big screen in slow mo. Called "Beyond Belief" if ya don't know. I'm with Shawn on this one. Great video. Some stuff not my style. The tripod they're usin' is good for 700ish. Now, I'll have to take another look to see what the wind's doing.

Pretty acute of Shawn to spot how badly they missed.