Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

The real caliber choice answer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: The real caliber choice answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beng View Post
@sportmuaythai
I thought rubberpadding at the backend of the stock was standard?
This is what I was asking above. May be it's considered sissy thing to use?
PASTŪ Recoil Pads

Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

I don't really have a favorite cal (fond of all of I have now), Their all adequate in if used appropriately to their capabilities and yours. By that I IMHO it's not appropriate to use a 243 to poke at elk at 800yrds, neither is it really appropriate to use a 338edge to take a Couse deer at 50yrds either. That said I firmly believe bullet choice and knowing your own abilities, is more important than cal.

As far as calibers go though 98% of my hunting is done with a 270 and a 7mag with the majority being the 270 out to 400yrds, if I really really feel I just have to I'll use the 7mag for longer shots.

The areas I tend to hunt most shots are usually 200-300yrds, but I get a much bigger kick out of finding a way to close those distances down to <50 for no other reason than "it's the hunt" that drives me not the kill. A good hunt doesn't always end with a critter on the ground.

But that's just me
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

I see, failure on my side, sorry.
I never heard of this stuff specifically, nor used anything like it.
It would most definately be sissy to use it for .223 Rem though :P
Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Guns are tools and a good mechanic has a big toolbox full of tools. An excellent mechanic has many tools plus specialty tools for specific jobs.

Most of us fall into the good mechanic area. We have guns, more than one because it takes different calibers for different situations.

Most everyone has a Crescent wrench in their toolbox (Crescent is really an adjustable open end wrench, not Crescent, a brand name BTW).

My Crescent wrench is my 223. I use it for all sorts of stuff, from target practice to 100 yard match to varmit removal to even deer hunting (it's perfectly capable with the right projectile and handload), plus it's cheap to shoot on factory ammunition and real cheap with handloads.

Guys like Shawn Carlock and Jeff and others, have specialty guns (tools) for specific purposes. You don't go plinking with a Chey-Tac or a 338 because you can't afford it and those are guns with a specific purpose, much like an H&K with supression and night vision is, or those fancy and high priced, specific use Snap-On tools that I'd like to have, bit really have no use for.....

That brings us to the answer which is 'whatever caliber you, as the shooter are most comfortable with and can afford to shoot frequently'.

Something to ponder.................
Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
neither is it really appropriate to use a 338edge to take a Coues deer at 50yrds either. That said I firmly believe bullet choice and knowing your own abilities, is more important than cal.

As far as calibers go though 98% of my hunting is done with a 270 and a 7mag with the majority being the 270 out to 400yrds, if I really really feel I just have to I'll use the 7mag for longer shots.

The areas I tend to hunt most shots are usually 200-300yrds, but I get a much bigger kick out of finding a way to close those distances down to <50 for no other reason than "it's the hunt" that drives me not the kill. A good hunt doesn't always end with a critter on the ground.

But that's just me
A big +1. You're not alone. 270 and a 7mag. I've killed a big full maned lion and a Yukon griz that won my guide the silver buckle with a .270, but if I had to do it again I would use the 7mm mag for the lion.