Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reading mountain winds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 07:05 PM

Reading mountain winds

I am looking for pointers on reading wind in steep, irregular terrain. The wind direction and velocity can be different at the target and at intervening points between shooter and target. I do not feel secure taking a shot at long range when wind is present. Suggestions on wind doping in these conditions?
Old 05-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

I'd recommend Shawn Carlock's long range video. Link--> Long Range Hunting-Video (Shawn Carlock, Defensive Edge)

He covers it quite well and in a way that's easy to understand. You might also think about taking his long range shooting school/class if possible.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:57 PM
SPONSOR

I long range hunt in mountainous terrain for deer and bear and the only way you'll know what's truly going on is to hunt the same area for years and see what the normal prevailing conditions are. You also will need to know your rifle and how it's effected in different conditions. Experience and lots of practice shooting in wind will ultimately be the deciding factor on whether to take the shot or not. If you you don't feel secure in taking a shot when wind is present your in the wrong game as wind is almost always a factor here. It's impossible to know what the wind is doing at different ranges across a canyon. All you have to go by is what it's doing where your at and what it's doing where your bullets going to land. The wind in between is nothing but a well educated guess. I suggest practice, practice, practice shooting in wind and see how it effects you bullets flight.

www.mcrifles.com
Old 06-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

practise practise practise, don't take the shot at an animal unless you are sure you can make the shot.

There are some wind conditions when you just need to realise that is not worth risking a shot, for the good of the game animal if nothing else