Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Re: Heart Shot Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Well spoken Outlaw, this thread has not set well with me but I lack the civilized language you seem to posses. To me this reeks of social liberalism which in it's slow degrading of our country has been accepted as the norm.

As a people the more we white wash the reality of death the less empathy we have for the game we take, death is a consequent or an intent of our actions and I think that the white washing it as proposed has led the issues we now have as hunters and on a more serious scale the lack of respect that is shown to our fellow man when kids only connection to death and it's ramifications are a video game.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
And Clint Eastwood rocks!
The more I know about Clint, the more I like him. I would seriously like to have a sit down with the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
.. To me this reeks of social liberalism which in it's slow degrading of our country has been accepted as the norm.

.... kids only connection to death and it's ramifications are a video game.

Brother, it ain't a slow degredation anymore. The PC snowball is turning into a caustic avalanche, quickly. It is the norm, the nanny state decides what you need to think, feel, believe & say, if you aren't one of the sheep you are cast out or villified. I learned a long time ago that you can't please everybody all the time... It really doesn't bother me all that much

Your last point makes me consider the hypocracy of the current world. Violence in real life is abhored whether it is hunting or other. Violence on the silver screen or Play Station is just fine, kids nowadays have no idea.... & even worse, I don't think they care.

t

Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

Seems pretty simple to me..

Read title of the post...

You don't like what it says...

Don't click the mouse...

I actually gained insight seeing the picture of the redneck (B&G) with his fist next to the elk knuckle...
Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Bronze Member

I agree that in a closed “conversation” photos of this nature are acceptable and can even be very informative. I have seen numerous photos of scapulae, liver, heart and other bone tissue used as demonstrators for the effectiveness of various hunting broadhead designs. Those pictures are indeed valid and in many cases performing those experiments are required if one is to gain credible data on broadhead/arrow/projectile combinations.

My fear lies in knowing how easy it is for data (pictures) to be accessed by those who would subvert intent and try to use them as propaganda tools against the hunting/shooting community as a whole. I would pray that if photos of this nature are being circulated, those folks creating and/or sharing them take care they do not let the pictures fall into the wrong hands.

I have already gotten numerous comments on this missive posted on a few of the archery/bowhunting and firearms hunting web-sites. The overwhelming sentiment is “If you find the pictures offensive, you don’t have to look.” In my opinion this attitude is not only short-sighted but bordering on belligerent. In an age where one third of the population believes Americans should have their weapon access strictly limited (i.e. banned), throwing fuel onto the fire, branding hunters and shooters as violent barbarians intent on the destruction of themselves and others, is only furthered by pictures of Billy Bob grinning, holding a dripping organ and pointing to a gaping hole where a projectile recently passed through.

I’m just hoping folks are a little smarter when they send these photos around and keep them off of social web-sites like Facebook.

PS

I just loved “…akin to dog fighting in back of the local PETA headquarters.”!

I also have a Clint Eastwood collection and a 44 Magnum.

K
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter can not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 08-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Konrad,
I applaud your approach to the matter, I sincerely appreciate being able to discuss a rather volatile topic such as this w/o it turning into a pie fight. For the most part, I agree with what you’ve said. I don’t however, believe that particular photographic evidence be omitted due to what amounts to fear of retaliation and/or public backlash. I believe, as posted before, common sense & discretion go a LONG way toward protecting one’s posterior. As you’ve pointed out (quite well I might add) is that common sense is so rare it should be officially classified as a Super Power. Bubba does just as much damage to our sport as he does to embrace it; of that I am most certain. I/we deal with these idiots on a regular basis & most unfortunately, they multiply.

Note: I’ve tried hard to not make this a political or moral/ethical post; we’ll see what Len thinks.

I see & believe that those of opposite thinking have adopted, to great success, the approach that you seem to be vehemently discouraging. We’re here, we’re ……umm, errr…. Get used to it, simple arrogance. It seems to be perfectly acceptable to ram a certain agenda down the throat an opponent; as long as you’re advocating a “right” of some sort. Whether or not that particular "right" infringes on the "rights" of others is of little consequence it seems.

Being patronized by a society that can barely tie its own shoes would be farcical if it were not for the continual assertion (and general consensus) that a round peg will indeed, fit into a square hole. They know not what they speak, as usual, & they don’t care. I for one, cannot surrender my moral standing in exchange for being accepted as one of the “cool kids”. I’d might instead chose to be hung, drawn & quartered (punishment for treason, old England).

I understand I’ve been a bit primeval in my rebuttal however I, among other, have come to the point where a “Not One Inch Further” mindset is becoming more prevalent.

In the end, we are the champions & emissaries of our sport & of our culture. Without us, our sport is most assuredly predestined for termination. We must choose our battles wisely just as sure as we must maintain a constant presence of force, assuring our opposition that we will not be driven or beaten into submission.

I sometimes feel we are on the verge of a catch 22 scenario. If we’re too quiet, we will be steamrolled as a piece of road kill on the road towards Utopia. If we yell too hard; what may come of that? I don’t know but, it can’t be much worse than what we KNOW is coming down the road.

I believe it was Dylan Thomas who wrote “Rage, rage against the dying of the light”.
I think I know what he meant.

t

Last edited by Outlaw6.0; 08-05-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Bronze Member

Hello Outlaw,

Believe me when I say that I fully appreciate the “Not One More Inch” mentality! A fault of mine throughout life has been reaching for the launch all nuclear weapons button when confronted with mice eating the corn for my deer. I am constantly reminding myself that such excessive tactics invariably result in unintended collateral damage that rarely furthers my cause. Of course, my first inclination is to plaster pictures like we are discussing all over frequently visited web-sites just to get a negative reaction. Then my better nature (read: “Wife”) usually steps in with more sanity and reason prevails. At least it seems I am better able to keep those with whom I’m debating involved in the discussion rather than their just abandoning the conversation.

As a group, hunters and shooting sports enthusiasts have been taking it on the PR chin for decades. Most anti-hunting/shooting activists will tell you that they would be thrilled at the prospect of removing the tools of our avocation from our hands but will also admit their strategy of “Death by a Thousand Cuts” will get the same desired outcome albeit over a longer time frame. This is the gambit I seek to thwart by asking for those who revel in those photos (I must admit more than a little scientific curiosity on my own part) avoid the gore for gore’s sake snap shot and apparent exploitation (to the uninitiated) of our game animals for less than sportsman like purposes.

You and I are on the same page. Keep up the good work!

Good luck with your future efforts afield.
Konrad
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter can not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

Col. Jeff Cooper
Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
Hello Outlaw,

.... A fault of mine throughout life has been reaching for the launch all nuclear weapons button when confronted with......

You and I are on the same page. Keep up the good work!

A fault I share as well. It's taken many years to achieve the ability to yield with any consistency

Thank you for the kind comments, I believe we are on the same page.

t